Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Maintaining Long Distance Friendships

After going to college out of state and then returning back to my home state, I have found that many of my friends live far away from me. Luckily, it doesn't have to mean that our friendships are over. Here are a few ways to keep long distant friendships alive.


5 Ways to Keep Long Distance Friendships Alive




Have a set time you call each other.

Even though my best friend lives 3 hours away, we still talk every day. She works in the evenings and calls me during her break each evening. We chat for 15 minutes about whatever's going on in our lives and it's something we both look forward to each day. It's nice to be able to count on her and still have such a close relationship despite the miles between us.


Message each other about the little things.

Whether you text or message each other on Snapchat, just communicating about the little things help to stay up to date on what's happening in each other's lives.


Plan days or weekends together.

Luckily I'm only 2-3 hours from my friends, so this is an option for us. We don't get together as often as I wish we could (which would be every weekend), but we do make plans every few months to get together. This is great since seeing each other face to face and making memories together is such an important part of friendship. 


Watch your favorite show together.

I have a show with a few of my friends that we watch "together." My sister and I (try to) watch the same episode of Criminal Minds on Netflix every Thursday night at 7 and text each other as we watch about what's happening in the episode. I've also watched AHS with a friend and we'd call each other during the commercial breaks to talk about the show. This is a super fun way to stay in touch because it gives you something that's your thing that you do, even if you're far away from each other!


Let them know when you think of them.

Even if your relationship isn't that close anymore, just text them whenever something reminds you of them. Whether it be a song, seeing their favorite sports team on TV, or driving past a place you used to hang out at, just send them a quick message to let them know that you thought of them. If it ends up being a conversation, great. If not, at least you reached out to them. I have a friend who every once in awhile just Snapchats me when something reminds her of me and it always makes my day.


Do you have long distance friendships? How do you keep your friendship going from far away? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Aww this is such a lovely post! I think this rings true in any long distance relationship! Great tips! X

    Victoria | VictoriaaHelenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long distance friendships/relationships of any kind take work so I'm happy to help anyone trying to make one work. Thanks for reading!

      Delete