Saturday, February 25, 2017

3 Little Ways to Live a (Slightly) Minimalist Lifestyle

Minimalism is very attractive to me. Living a life with less stuff to take care of and clean and more time and money to go out and do things sounds amazing. While my mom and grandma complain that I don't have enough decorations and stuff in my apartment, I would love to live a much more minimalist lifestyle, because really I hoard stationary and have a bunch of "memory boxes" filled with random things I should just get rid of. But that's why we need to just start small! So here are a few tips (for you and me) to be a bit more minimalist.


3 little tips to help you live happily with less stuff




Get rid of things you don't use.

I'm pretty sure we're all guilty of having boxes upon boxes of things we just don't use. That's why sometimes it's a good idea to just have a good clear out! You can do your whole apartment in a weekend if you're feeling ambitious, otherwise just do it one area or room at a time. I have my 2 storage closets at the top of my list and then I'll work my way through the rest of my place slowly, but surely.


"Your home is living space, not storage space." - Francine Jay


When getting rid of things, it's a good idea to ask yourself when you last used the item, how useful it is, and if you could live without it. With clothes I also check to make sure it looks good on me and that I feel comfortable in it. If it doesn't fit right and I don't like wearing it, there's no point keeping it in my closet.

Also think about what you'll do with the stuff that's still in good condition. Will you donate it, give it to a friend, or sell it? There's lots of options!


Be picky about what you buy.

It's easy to just go to the store and put everything in your cart (or at least it can be for me!), so you need to switch your mindset a bit when shopping. Have a shopping list in mind or written out on paper or your phone. If you don't have a list or find something that you wasn't on the list, ask yourself if you need it, what you'll use it for, and where you'll keep it. If you don't need it, don't have a realistic answer for when you'll use it, or don't have a spot where you'll keep it, pass on getting it. It can seem heartbreaking in the moment, but you'll probably have completely forgotten about it by the end of the day.


"It's not a good deal if you don't need it."


By being picky about what you buy, you don't have to get rid of stuff as often and you'll only have things you love in your home and closet. It does make life much easier and happier.



Use what you have.

When you have something you want or need, see if there's a way you can make it yourself or use what you have to create something similar. Whether it's a DIY art print to hang on the walls using a canvas you've had sitting around for months or creating an outfit similar to one you found on Instagram with clothes you already have in your closet, using what you have prevents you from spending more money and utilizes what you've already purchased.


"Do what you can with what you have where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt


This requires a little bit of creativity, but if you're like me you'll be amazed at all the things you have hidden away - even after getting rid of stuff.


If you're looking for more ideas I have a whole board on Pinterest dedicated to minimalism and I'm adding to it all the time. You can check out my minimalism board here.

Do you do these little things? Do you live or try to live a minimalist lifestyle? Let me know in the comments!


2 comments:

  1. Gosh Courtney, your posts are always #goals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That seriously makes my day :)

      Delete