Saturday, January 28, 2017

How to Stay Positive

Your attitude and mindset play a huge role in how your day (and life) goes. This is something you hear a lot, but with good reason. You can look at things as a catastrophe or an adventure, a failure or a chance to start again. To be honest with you, it's easier for me to focus on the negative so being positive is something I have to work at. Today I thought I'd share a few ways that I (try to) stay positive.





Smile.

The first way is to smile. Besides appearing happier, smiling releases endorphins and reduces stress hormones which then in turn actually makes you happier. Win-win. Plus once you start smiling it just gets easier and easier to find more reasons to smile.


Don't overthink.

The number one thing that puts me in a negative mood is overthinking. This is something most of us do and it rarely brings anything good about. To stop myself from overthinking I start working on another project or ask myself if this will matter next week. Those are 2 things that work for me, but you might need to experiment to find what works best for you.


Focus on what went right.

This goes along with overthinking since usually when overthinking I focus on what went wrong. Focusing on what went wrong won't get you very far. Look at your mistakes to figure out what you can do different next time to improve, but don't obsess over them. Instead take note on what you can do better and then think of all the things that went right. What did you do well? What happened in just the right way? Focus on the good!


Appreciate things.

Being thankful has all sorts of benefits, including increasing happiness and decreasing depression. Some people keep a gratitude journal, some people make a note of 3 things they're grateful for in their planner each day. I think it can be as simple as appreciating the little things in your day at that moment or thinking of 3 good things that happened before you go to sleep at night.


Have at least one thing you're excited for each day.

One of my mentors taught me this and it is one of the best pieces of advice I've ever received. Each day have one thing planned that gets you excited in the morning to start your day. It can be as simple as having a coffee cake for breakfast, plans with friends later, or a new project you're going to do.


Take care of yourself.

Did you think I'd make it through this list without mentioning self care? Self care greatly improves my attitude and mindset. If I don't take care of myself and make time for the things that make me happy, it's much easier for me to have a negative mindset and let my depression rule me. Setting aside even 15 minutes for self care can make a huge difference in your mindset and attitude. 


Are you a naturally positive person or do you have to work at it? What do you do to stay positive? Let me know in the comments!




2 comments:

  1. This is such an important post! Ever since I made the conscious decision to try and look on the bright side, my life has become more meaningful and beautiful. Positivity not only affects you but the people around you too!
    - Fiona | fionagaile.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good point! Whenever I've worked with positive people it always makes me a bit happier and their enthusiasm rubs off on me as well. Thanks for reading!

      Delete