Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Books I Want to Read in 2017

Last year I started reading again and I want to continue to read this year. In my 2017 Life Update and Goals I said one of my goals for this year is to read 8 books. I'm always looking for book recommendations or ideas of what to read next, so here's some ideas if you're looking for some new books to read, too. 


Books on my list to read in 2017

Bold Spirit by Linda Lawrence Hunt

I like history and I also like (true) stories about women who broke the rules and did thing people thought women couldn't do. Bold Spirit captured my interest for both those reasons. It's about a woman, Helga, who immigrated to the United States, moved to the west coast when it was just being settled, and then walked across the United States in 1896 from Washington to New York with her daughter to win $10,000 to help her family. If that doesn't sound interesting, I don't know what does. I started reading this book and it's really interesting how the author found Helga's story and the obstacles Helga overcame in her life.

Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling

I read Mindy Kaling first book Why is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? and LOVED it. If you have seen her on The Office or The Mindy Project you already know she's hilarious. That book was the same. Since I loved it so much I know I need to read her newest book, Why Not Me. I can't wait to start reading it!


Yes Please by Amy Poehler

Amy Poehler is another funny woman I love. I've had Yes Please sitting on my shelf for a while, I just haven't gotten to it yet. But it sounds like it will be a great read when I finally do get around to reading it.


Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coehlo

A bit of a morbid title, but that's also what made it sound interesting. I've never read a book by Paulo Coehlo before, but I have heard all about how great of a writer he is. So I've decided to start with Veronika Decides to Die. This book is about Veronika who seems to have everything, but is deeply unhappy and decides to commit suicide. However she wakes up at a mental hospital where she discovers all sorts of things about herself and life.


Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert

There's been a lot of hype about Big Magic in the blogging world, and I think that's because we're all creative in one way or another. Creativity is something that always makes me happier and makes a huge difference in my mental health (when I'm creative, my mental health is better). This book sounds super interesting and like it will help me be more creative and find more inspiration.


Americanah by Ngozi Adichie

Like many people, I first heard about Ngozi Adicie from Beyonce's song "Flawless" which has an audio clip from Ngozi's TED Talk on feminism. Since then I have heard so much about Ngozi Adichie's writing and I've really wanted to read something by her. Americanah is one of her books that I've heard lots of good things about. It's about love, race, and the challenges two people face as they leave Nigeria and eventually return home.  


In the Country We Love by Diane Guerrero

Unlike the rest of the world, I have not watched Orange is the New Black or Jane the Virgin. Diane Guerrero is an actress in both, but since I haven't seen them, that's not what caught my attention about that book. Instead what caught my interest was that In the Country We Love is a story about a successful woman who was 14 when her parents and brother were deported while she was at school. 

You may or may not know that I'm a Spanish teacher and one of the topics that come up when teaching Spanish is immigration (legal and illegal). In my class we had talked about how kids can stay in the US since they're legal citizens, but their parents can be deported if they're illegal - so what happens to the kids? Here's one person's story! Perfect! So this is partially a work-related read, but it also seems like a highly interesting story.


Other books on my bookshelf that I want to read:

Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
Catherine de Medici by Leonie Frieda
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou (reread)
Gather Together in My Name by Maya Angelou


Hopefully I'm able to read 8 books plus a few extras this year! If you've read any of these before let me know if you liked them in the comments! Also let me know what books are on your to read list this year. I'm always curious what other people are reading!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh I actually still haven't read Why is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? even though it is on top of my reading list for a while! I will definitely have to start reading that soon! And I love your suggestions (and have also added some of them to my book wishlist)! :)

    - Sabrina | StudentsToolbox.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many books that stay on my reading list forever. There's so many books and so little time! I'm glad this gave you some ideas :)

      Delete