Wednesday, August 17, 2016

2016 Apartment Tour | Living Space

Last month I gave you your first look at my new apartment with a tour of my bedroom. Now a month later I've (finally) gotten around to posting a little tour of the rest of my space! I spend most of my time in the living room and if you cook at all, I'm sure you know how quickly the kitchen can get messy. Anyways, once I finally had both my kitchen and living room clean and presentable, had decent lighting, and felt up to taking some photos I started working on this post!



Apartment Tour | Living Space



We'll start with the kitchen since it's the first room you're in once you enter the apartment. As you can see the apartment is very open which, along with the glass doors to the balcony, makes it feel really big. 



Apartment Tour | Living Space
Apartment Tour | Living Space


It's pretty much just your basic kitchen! I like keeping the counters bare and only have practical things out for decoration. I have my owl cookie jar and owl candle that I've had for the past few years next to some plates to put cookies or treats on when I have people over. Then by the stove I have two silver utensil holders for convenience - and yes I do have the black utensils in one holder and the colorful utensils in the other. 

My favorite little spot, aside from the owls is this cute Kitchen Conversions cutting board I found At Home. Since I put it next to my canister with flour, it makes me feel like it's a little bakery (even though I almost never bake). 


Apartment Tour | Living Space
Apartment Tour | Living Space


I have my little dining nook in the corner of the living room. The dining table and chairs are from my mom. My mom having extra furniture to give me is definitely one of the upsides of her addiction to decorating. And as you can see I keep my aloe vera plant on top of the table. I have it sitting on a round place mat I picked up from Walmart so I can move it around the table without scratching it. 



Apartment Tour | Living Space 
Apartment Tour | Living Space
Apartment Tour | Living Space


Then above the dining table, there's a little built in shelf at the end of the kitchen cabinets. The shelves aren't tall enough to put books on, so I have two owls on the top shelf, a little plant on the middle shelf, and the Willow Creek Angels my mom has been giving me every year since I started college.



Apartment Tour | Living Space


I probably spend the majority of my time in the living room. I decided to go with blues and whites in this room, matching with the Van Gogh poster painting I have on the wall opposite my couch. I had the Van Gogh painting up in my last apartment and I just really liked having it up after it's been sitting in my family's storage room for years. 

If you saw the tour of my old apartment, the mirror and clock will be familiar. The two framed word art pieces I got at the dollar store for less than $5 (for both!). If you're curious, the one above the mirror says "Wish, hope, dream, and then make it happen," and the one below the clock says "Live every moment, laugh every day, love beyond words." Super cute sayings and I like the fonts and swirls they use, too.



Apartment Tour | Living Space
Apartment Tour | Living Space


Then in the corner I have the antique chair I've had for a few year in my dorms. It's a comfy chair, but it's a mauve color that just doesn't match, so I put this fleece gray blanket on top to cover it. Since this chair is mostly for extra seating, I keep two pillows on it plus a cat plushie (that looks like Marie from Aristocrats and is as close as I'm getting to a furry pet for a year or two). 


Apartment Tour | Living Space
Apartment Tour | Living Space


Now for the best spot, the couch! I was lucky enough to get this from my mom along with the TV and TV stand also in the living room. It's really great to be able to get furniture from family or friends when moving into a new place because furniture is so expensive (on top of the costs of moving into a new place, start up costs, getting internet, and whatever else). Anyways, you'll see I made this spot pretty cozy with pillows and a soft blanket. Perfect for when you feel a nap coming on while watching a movie. 


Apartment Tour | Living Space
Apartment Tour | Living Space


You made it through the tour! I hope you liked seeing the rest of my apartment and hopefully I didn't bore you too much. This space is probably a better example than my bedroom of how I was able to combine old and new pieces in my pieces. As I actually counted up how many items I bought for the apartment, only 12 pieces were new and they were low cost items (like pillows and cheap side tables).


What do you think of my apartment? How do you decorate your home on a budget? Let me know in the comments!




5 comments:

  1. I love all your owls! Putting your plant on a place mat is a fab idea! I definitely need to do that for all my counter top plants!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww yay I've been waiting for this ever since you posted your bedroom tour! :) I love your couch area and also your little corner, looks so cosy x

    Sara’sChapters

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing photos/video of other people's homes :) I just find it so interesting to see how others decorate and to get ideas for when I eventually get my own place. Reading room tour posts get me excited for when that day finally comes! You have a lovely apartment. I especially love your owl cookie jar and candle in the kitchen, and your couch! I love the way it looks with your pretty cushions. I also love your Willow Creek collection; my mum loves those ornaments!

    Sarah | Raiin Monkey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your apartment is so cute! Love how you decorated!
    xo, Syd
    Anchoredinthesouth.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colour schemes used in your apartment is so neat and well thought! The blue, white and greys contrasting with the white wall give a beautiful summer feel. Also love the little niches with the conversion board and the shelf with the ornaments inside it. It looks like something from a boutique coffee shop!

    ReplyDelete