Thursday, July 7, 2016

What My Depression Feels Like

I have had depression for several years now. I do my best to keep it in check with prescribed medication, practicing self-care, and being honest about my mental health with myself and others.

Still, every once in a while I'll have a few bad weeks where I struggle with my depression. I was having one of those times last month. When these times come up I first just accept that that's how I'm feeling and wait to see if it's just a bad day or two. If it lasts longer, it gets a bit more confusing as to what to do - or at least to me. I try to combat it though with self-care and pushing myself to do things that I know are good for my well-being. 

Depression can be so hard to explain to others. I know my mom is constantly asking me why I'm not being my normal self and asking what's wrong, but I just can't quite put it into words - and I also don't know how to say it without upsetting her or hearing every person with depression's least favorite words "you don't have anything to be depressed about." So I thought I would outline a bit of what my depression feels like, and share it here.


What My Depression Feels Like


My depression just zapped me of any interest I may have. While normally I'm a pretty motivated person who likes to be doing something, when I'm having a bad time with my depression I really can't be bothered. I could lay in bed all day and not feel like I missed out on much. I have to force myself to get up and go visit with my family, do chores, and go out. It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that nothing captures my interest.  Nothing seems too funny or exciting or scary. 

When I'm my usual self, I'd consider myself pretty expressive. I'm usually a pretty happy person who laughs and smiles a lot, shares her sense of humor, and talks a fair amount with people she knows. With depression I'm super quiet - I feel like I have nothing to say, nothing to add to the conversation. I'm straight faced nearly all the time and my smiles feel forced. I also find myself snapping at people way too often and getting frustrated way too easily.

And it is frustrating. It's frustrating to not feel like yourself. It's frustrating when you really can't explain why you feel this way - you just do.

My depression makes me feel like I have no energy. It's not that I'm tired and just need to take a nap. No matter how much I sleep I feel like I have no energy, no energy to go out and have fun, no energy to do the simple things that life requires.

Since I don't feel like myself and I have no energy, it's really easy to shut myself off from the world. I don't have the energy to call up my friend, let alone to call her up and ask if she wants to go out to dinner. Plus if I did, I would feel so bleh that I wouldn't have anything to talk about or add to the conversation.

With all of this going on, it's easy to start doubting yourself and start having negative thoughts about yourself. When I'm my normal self I can combat these moments of self-doubt and negative self-talk, but when I'm depressed it is a thousand times harder. It becomes so much easier to doubt my worth and purpose. It becomes easier to believe these negative thoughts too, which could be the most dangerous part of depression.

There really isn't an event that caused this to happen. I didn't get any bad news or have anything bad happen to me or someone I care about. I pretty much just woke up one day, and didn't feel good. And that feeling, a rather numbing feeling that rids me of any interest, liveliness, and happiness, stuck.


It's honestly scary to put this out onto the internet, but I'm hoping that by sharing this it helps others who have depression or another mental health condition and help their friends and family better understand what they're going through. Please keep in mind though that this is just my experience. Depression isn't the same for every person. Other people may have depression that manifests itself in different ways and may choose to care for their mental health in different ways as well.

I'd also just like to say that I am feeling back to my normal self at the moment and am continuing to manage my depression and practice self-care so please do not worry!






12 comments:

  1. Hugs, I'm glad you feeling normal again. May I spent the entire month watching criminal minds. Because it was the only thing I could do. It happens. It was. It will happen again. Post like these let me know I'm not alone and that we aren't alone and that each day we fight for another day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this post helps you to not feel alone - your comment does the same for me! Depression can feel so isolating so it's important we let each other know that we understand in some way how the other feels.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this post! I think you are really brave for sharing what it feels like to you, I really admire you for it! I am glad you are feeling yourself again! Stay strong lovely xx

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It means a lot :)

      Delete
  3. Thankyou for sharing this post :) You are very brave & you should be proud of yourself. I also struggle with depression and it feels somewhat comforting to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. It really helps me to read about how others with mental illness feel, because it reminds me that I'm not alone in my struggle. It's hard to deal with depression when it comes out of nowhere to bite you, knowing that all you can do is try to carry on as best you can until it settles down. Remember that you are strong :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like reading other people's posts about their mental health for the same reason, too so that kind of helped me to write this and I'm so glad I did. Thanks for all your kind words!

      Delete
  4. Very brave and strong of you to share how you feel...I'm very glad you did. Xx Bestest wishes to you.

    Keep Calm and start writing ...
    23millymay25.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently going through a bad bout of depression/anxiety and feel stuck in a cycle - i rarely leave the house but isolating myself only makes it worse. Thank-you for speaking out on it as awareness is so key. Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you're stuck in the middle of it. It's so miserable to be in that spot. I hope you take care of yourself and start feeling better soon.

      Delete
  6. Glad you're feeling better now. It sucks when people don't understand, but it sucks more when you, yourself, can't even figure it out or how to "fix" it. I get stuck being anxious and I end up being a jerk to someone. I am aware of it, but don't quite know how to snap out of it.

    http://ariannecruz07.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! That always makes me feel the worse - when I know I'm treating someone else badly, but it's like I can' stop it.

      Delete