Monday, July 11, 2016

Weekend Wrap Up No. 48

This week for me personally has been really good. I've been enjoying my new apartment and getting everything just right. I know this is weird, but I like having my own space to clean and organize. I also love decorating a new place and I've enjoyed having time alone, too. I haven't been lonely though because I had family over just about every other day. That has to be the best thing about only living an hour away from my family's house.

If you pay attention to what has been happening in the US this week, not so good. I don't usually write about politics on the blog or on my social media, but I've made an exception for what's been going on this week. I don't like offending others, but seeing 2 people needlessly gunned down by police was extremely unsettling and heartbreaking and it shouldn't be offensive to call out the violence that anyone who watches the videos can easily see. I'm not quite sure what is so offensive to people admitting that people who are paid to protect us are actually perpetrating violence against members of our community, admitting that racism is still rampant and evident in our society, or acknowledging that the two are intertwined? 

Of course stating the cruel and inhumane treatment of these and other victims of police brutality had to be made further controversial by someone, unconnected to either movement, shooting and killing police at an otherwise peaceful protest in Dallas. While the actions of the police officers who killed Philandro Castile and Alton Sterling were despicable, not all police officers are responsible and their actions in any case should not be responded to with more violence. And most people agree with that statement and many of those who want to see a change in the US justice system are trying to do so peacefully through writing, using social media, and protesting.

Now I don't have any wise words or solutions to this giant problem at hand. I don't know how ordinary people are supposed to change huge societal institutions, but I know using the voice we are given is one way. And I know that spreading a little bit of love and happiness is another way. And I know some people are doing amazing things with GoFundMe accounts for the families of those killed this week. 

I don't have a better way to end that little piece and hopefully I haven't lost you because now I am going to move on to talking about how I spent my weekend!


Weekend Wrap Up No. 48


Friday my dad surprised me with an impromptu visit since he was in the area for work. It was nice to see him and be able to talk to him about things, especially since he and I are the worst at texting or calling each other! Later on in the evening I painted a bit with my watercolors and watched the Vikings Season 2 dvd set that I picked up on Thursday. I don't know what it is about this show, but I love it. Since I've had the season 1 set for awhile and I do not have cable in my apartment, I decided to splurge and  buy season 2 and 3 of Vikings. I normally don't binge watch shows, but I watched all of season 2 this weekend so I'm guessing season 3 will follow shortly.

Saturday I tried to dress up a bit since I was going to be spending the day with my mom, sister, and grandma. They came up to go to a flea market and lunch so I went with. We had fun walking around the flea market and we each got at least one thing. Then we went out to lunch before heading to my apartment to visit. My grandma loved my place and we had a nice time talking. 

My sister decided to stay with me when my mom and grandma left, so her and I ran a few errands and watched a bit of Netflix. We watched Beyond the Lights which was a pretty good movie and one that I've been meaning to watch for a while. We also watched an episode of Reign and I believe I now have my sister hooked on it. 

After dinner she and I headed back to my family's house where I met the little kitten who they adopted after he showed up on the door step this week. My brothers named him Henry and he is pretty much the cutest thing ever. I had so much fun playing with him!

Sunday was very laid back. I spent the night so in the morning I played with Henry a bit more, spent some time with everyone, enjoyed lunch made by my mom, and then grabbed a few more things to take back to my apartment. Once I made it back to the apartment I spent the afternoon editing photos, writing and editing posts, and ended the weekend by finishing up season 2 of Vikings.


Weekend Wrap Up No. 48
Weekend Wrap Up No. 48
Weekend Wrap Up No. 48
Weekend Wrap Up No. 48
Weekend Wrap Up No. 48


How was your weekend? Did you have any fun outings or binge watch any good shows? Let me know in the comments! And of course feel free to share your thoughts on what's been happening in the US recently - just be respectful!



4 comments:

  1. My weekend was pretty good. I went to get my brows done on Saturday, then I hung out with mom and went shopping. We had burgers and fries for lunch, and had frozen custard for dessert after shopping. As for Sunday, I went to meet with clients to talk about photographing their wedding. The meeting went on for 5 hours because we ended up watching a movie at their house lol. On the way home, I decided to get a few grocery things. When I got home, I had a massive headache. So I caught up on some YT videos, then took a nap. When I woke up, I filmed a video and took photos of the subjects in the video (coming up on the blog next week lol). Then dinner, then editing and uploading the video. Finally, I devoured a review book and was a bit disappointed that I have to wait till next time to read part 2!

    http://ariannecruz07.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good weekend - especially the impromptu movie during your meeting haha. I always love spending time with my mom and catching up on blogging (or in your case vlogging) too :)

      Delete
  2. I am so glad that you had a lovely week! I think what's happening in the USA at the moment is shocking and saddening! I wish things like this didn't have to happen at all xx

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. The news lately has just been too much for me - it seems like bad things are happening everywhere!

      Delete