Thursday, July 14, 2016

My Hobbies & Why You Should Have One

As much fun as scrolling through social media and binge-watching your current show on Netflix can be, sometimes it's good to get off the couch (or out of bed) and, you know, actually do something. That's where having a hobby comes in. 


My Hobbies & Why You Should Have One



Having a hobby sounds a bit old-fashioned for some reason, but really it's just anything that you love to do whether that's running, painting, or playing video games.


My Hobbies & Why You Should Have One


Doing these hobbies is always a part of my de-stress and self-care time. I make time to do at least one of these activities each day, and on the weekend I try to do more of them. It makes me so happy to do one of these projects, plus I usually feel accomplished after painting a new canvas to hang up in my apartment, finding a new hiking trail, or writing a new post for my blog. I don't get that feeling after laying in bed all day with Netflix.

Now I'm not necessarily good at all these hobbies and I definitely don't do them all regularly, but that's not the point. You don't have to be "good" to call something your hobby. You could've failed art class back in school, but still love doodling little characters all evening. You could read one book a year, but if it's something you enjoy doing you can still consider it a hobby. You don't have to meet a certain quota or do it x times a week for it to be a "true" hobby. There really should be no pressure, because chances are you're doing it mainly for yourself. You do your best at these projects because you like doing them, and in the end that's what really matters. 


What are your hobbies? Do you make time for them each week or is it rare that you let yourself indulge in doing them? Let me know in the comments!

P.S. For the best list of hobbies and another perspective on why they're important, check out this post.






8 comments:

  1. CROCHET! I love it too :P My latest hobby though is paper cutting - did a post on it last weekend, really recommend trying! Great solution for birthday cards and pinterest hunting comes with it :P what do you like to crochet?

    Bumble & Be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like making cards too. I am a very basic crocheter and just make scarves and blankets. I'd like to learn how to do more, but I never seem to get around to it!

      Delete
  2. Wow you have so many hobbies! I only have photography and blogging! I definitely agree with the importance of having hobbies though! They make a great distraction from work xxx

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't matter if it's only 2 or 3 or 15, it's just good to have something to do that makes you happy. Blogging and photography are pretty big tasks though - a lot harder than people think!

      Delete
  3. Hobbies are amazing. As a person of many hobbies and interests, I agree %100!
    (and I am in constantly in awe of your bullet journaling!)
    -elissa // letters-to-jayna.blogspot.com
    p.s. I tagged you over at my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely post (and blog!). I’m unable to work due to health problems so I tend to have a lot of hobbies to keep me going and I found this post really inspirational. My main hobbies include photography, blogging, reading and making handmade cards. I liked your words on self-care and being productive. Have a great day! :-) xx

    Helen | Helens Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I'm sure it's even more important to have hobbies when it's up to you to fill your time and when it's probably very easy to just focus on how miserable you feel due to your health. I know in summers when I have more free time I would be pretty miserable without my hobbies.

      Delete