Saturday, June 25, 2016

Why I Journal

I've been journaling off and on since 1st grade. With journaling for that many years, I've found lots of reasons to encourage me to continue to keep one. At different points I've used my journal to record what's happening, get out my thoughts and feelings on all the high school drama, figure out what I think about different topics, practice self-care, be creative, and keep memories. If you keep a journal you can probably relate to these reasons for keeping one. If not, maybe this list will make you want to start one! So without further ado, here are a few reasons why I keep a journal.


Why I Journal from Courtney's Little Things



  1. It's a way to keep all those memories you'd otherwise forget.
  2. It's a way to look back at who you were, how you felt, and what was important to you at a certain point in your life.
  3. It's a way to be able to look back and know what day or what year a certain event happened (you never know what will be important to you later on).
  4. It's a way to be creative.
  5. It's a way to let go of negative emotions.
  6. It's a way to process emotions.
  7. It's a way to process your thoughts.
  8. It's a way to problem solve through difficult situations.
  9. If you have something private that you don't want others to know about, you can write it in your diary to get it off your chest, but still not tell anyone.
  10. It can help you figure out where you want to go from here.
  11. It's your own private space.
  12. It can be anything you want - a place to doodle, a place to write, a place to make little notes, anything!
  13. It's a way to hone your writing skills.
  14. It's a way to get to know yourself better.
  15. It's a way to figure out what you believe.
  16. It can be a way to practice self-care.
  17. It's a way to get your emotions out in a healthy way.
  18. If you're upset with someone, you can get out your frustrations without hurting anyone's feelings or being unprofessional.
  19. It can be a way to track your mood or stress levels.
  20. It can be a way to track how certain things affect your well-being.
  21. It's a way to experiment - you can experiment with how you write or the way you think and what you believe in.
  22. It can help you figure out your life goals.
  23. It can help you decide what you want out of life.
  24. It's a way to figure out what your next step should be.
  25. It's an excuse to keep buying cute stationary.

Do you journal or want to start one? Why do you keep a journal?


12 comments:

  1. Lovely post! Ive never started a journal, because i would always forget to write something in everyday but I guess my blog could be my journal :)
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a blog can be. Also, I totally don't journal every day and you don't have to. It can just be something you do every week or two if you want. There's no pressure because it's just your space :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a sweet post, I love all your reasons! I've never been able to keep a consistent journal, but props to you for doing so!

    Caiti | Caiti Nicole Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really hard to keep a consistent journal if it's not a priority. I have plenty of journals that I've never finished or go months without writing in. But that's okay since it's just for me!

      Delete
  3. I have stop writing journal at the age of 20. I've always wanted to write journal again but I keep procrastinating. *sigh*

    Fay x http://fayfm89.blogspot.my

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Procrastinating is so easy to do! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  4. Aw I love this post! I don't really journal that much but I used to as a kid. I like keeping notes on my phone when I have a lot on my mind, so like you said I can get it off my chest without telling anyone xx

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's like the best part of journaling for me - and you can totally just do it on your phone or on a scrap piece of paper too.

      Delete
  5. I definitely agree with the reasons you mentioned! :) I used to journal a lot as a kid & I love reading through them. At the moment I'm not journaling because I usually feel way too tired after school or after studying but I want to start again during summer break & once I'm done with school at the end of the year I'll hopefully have time to do it as well x

    Sara / AboutLittleThiings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy for life to kind of take over. I know after being in classes all day I want to just sit down and relax!

      Delete
  6. this is awesome I have journal but I stop it but these reasons amazing time to get back to journaling more from july thank you
    galantosfun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the post and it inspired you!

      Delete