Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Using A Bullet Journal On A Daily Basis

I've written posts before on my bullet journal, showing a look through all the pages and talking about why I like it. Despite having these posts here, I've never really told you how I use my bullet journal on a practical, every day basis. I thought now would be the perfect time, so here is how I use my bullet journal on a daily basis!

How I Use My Bullet Journal On A Daily Basis from Courtney's Little Things


Once A Week

I know I told you I'd show you how I use my bullet journal on a weekly basis, but to do so I have to tell you how I use my weekly page! Once a week, usually on Sunday I create my weekly page for the week. My weekly page consists of a list of tasks I want/need to get done that week. 

At the moment I have these tasks separated into 3 sections: At Home, On the Blog, and Personal. During the school year though the list is mostly school related tasks with a few home, blog, or personal tasks at the end of the list.  It makes me feel better to see what tasks I have to do for which class or category, so during the school year I color code, but right now I just list the tasks under the headings/sections I mentioned already.

I also keep a section for important dates that week like birthdays, appointments, and the likes.

In the Evening

I spend some time each evening planning for the following day in my bullet journal. Before I start planning for the next day though, I take stock of what happened that day using my trackers. I have a monthly expenses tracker and a habit tracker in my bullet journal. For the monthly expenses tracker I have a square for each dollar I spend so I can see how much I'm spending. For the daily habit tracker I have a table with each of my daily habits going down the left side and then a square for each day of the month. In the evening I fill in the squares of the habit/expenses tracker to mark my progress/spending.

After that I start working on my daily page. I work on the heading first which consists of the day, date, a weather signifier (sun, rain drops, cloud, etc), and the temperature for that day. Once the heading for the day is complete, I start writing down the tasks I want to complete that day and any appointments or meetings I might have. I like doing this best in the evenings because then I know I have everything set for the next day and don't have to worry about forgetting anything as I go to sleep.

In the Morning

In the morning I sit down with my bowl of cereal and take a look at what I have planned for the day in my bullet journal. This works really well for me because I get a little reminder of what the day holds and I can add in anything that might've slipped my mind the night before. Once I'm done with breakfast, I get started on one of the tasks for the day.

Throughout the Day

During the day I refer back to my bullet journal so I can tick tasks off as I complete them and figure out what to do next. Of course, if something comes up I can add that to my bullet journal as well.


That is how I use my bullet journal every day! While I change up the layouts of my pages and how I decorate them quite a bit (I'm constantly tweaking something!), I have been very consistent with the way I use it over the past year. This way works best for me - a little planning for the week on Sundays and daily planning each evening. Hopefully this all made sense. 


Let me know if you use a bullet journal and how you like to use it in the comments!


10 comments:

  1. Courtney, you read my mind.
    I have been debating and reading about bullet journals, as my current planner is about to run out. But I'm not sure yet...
    So anyhoo, thanks for this helpful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it really depends on what you need/want. You have to do a bit more work since you're just using a plain notebook rather than a predated planner, but if you like to personalize and be creative it's a great way to stay organized!

      Delete
  2. This is so useful!! I want to start bullet journaling when I start sixth form in September, so this is a post I'll definitely come back to because you've explained it in such an understandable way!!
    Lauren xx
    www.teastainedlauren.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I was hoping it would all make sense! Using a bullet journal for school is so helpful with keeping track of all the assignments and to-dos!

      Delete
  3. I really like the idea of the weekly task lists! I've mostly been doing lists in my bullet journal recently which has been working well now that school is done for the semester, but once I'm back in classes I'm definitely going to do something more formal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weekly tasks list saves my butt during the school year! It's the only way I can keep track of all the assignments and papers and projects!

      Delete
  4. I love hearing about bullet journals! They seem so useful, but I don't think they're for me. I have two planners that I use to keep myself organised: one actual day-by-day planner, where I write plans, and one tiny notebook where I write to-do-lists for each day or week. It works alright, but I wish I had somewhere I could write down weekly/monthly plans, and everything else! I just don't think I'm artistic enough or will put enough time into a bullet journal :/

    theamandaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay! It's all about finding a system that works for you whether that be a planner, a notebook, a calendar, or a bullet journal.

      Delete
  5. I've really wanted to start a bullet journal so bad. I hope to create one this summer once school stops. These are great tips on using bullet journals. Loving the video and ideas to put in as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad this helped you! Making a bullet journal is so great just because you can make it whatever you want - if you want to be creative it can be super fun or it can be really simple if you just want it to be a way to stay organized.

      Delete