Wednesday, June 8, 2016

How to Get Into Reading

This year I've been getting back into blogging after not reading any books in 2015. I've already read 5 books this year and am working on book number 6. It's quite the change, but I've been loving it. I love reading new books, learning other people's thoughts on things, and delving into new worlds. When you're not into reading it can be difficult to get back into it, so I thought I would share a few ways I've found help me to get back into reading again.



How to Get Into Reading from Courtney's Little Things



Find a book you like.

I tried getting into reading at the start of my winter break, but it felt like such a chore. Why? Because I was reading a book I didn't like. It seemed like it should be interesting and a book I should like, but I was several chapters in and just couldn't get into it. So, I switched to reading I Am Malala and I loved it! Reading didn't feel like a chore anymore and I looked forward to reading each chance I could.


Make it a part of your routine.

I made reading a part of my evening routine. After I had showered and gotten into my pajamas, I'd roll down my covers, get into bed, and read for a half hour. It was a good way to wind down after the day and was something I looked forward to each day. While evenings work best for me, I know some people prefer waking up early and reading before school or work and others like reading while they travel to work. Whatever time works best for you!


Give yourself a goal.

Making reading a part of my yearly and monthly goals has motivated me to read. I like to be able to mark that I've achieved my goals, so it makes me more likely to take time each evening to read. Originally I had wanted to read 6 books over the whole year, but it's looking like I should update that to 9 or 12!


That's how I've been able to read about one book a month this year. I'm so glad I've made reading a part of my life again. If you haven't been reading lately, but want to get back into it, I hope these tips help you to make reading a part of your life again.

Do you like reading? How do you make time to read?





10 comments:

  1. I've always loved reading - it has been one of my favourite things to do during my entire childhood & it still is. So personally I never really had to get into it, reading has just always been a part of my life I wouldn't want to miss. However there are times where I read less than usual, mainly because I can't seem to make time for it but lately I've been reading daily again and I love it! I just realised that I actually can manage to make time for it if I really want to despite all the schoolwork I have to do - now I read every day before bed instead of being on my phone or laptop :) x

    Sara / AboutLittleThiings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved reading, but in college I just got out of the habit of reading for fun. I usually had so much reading to do for classes that I didn't want to read more (even though it would be for fun). But now that I'm almost done with university I'm wanting to make reading a habit again so I don't stop learning and so I can have one more hobby. I definitely agree with you though that you have to want to make the time. We can spare to cut out a few minutes on social media or buzzfeed to read a good book.

      Delete
  2. Reading has always been something that I loved. My grandmother says that I was "born with a book in my hands". While I've always loved reading, I haven't had that much time to dedicate to it lately. I've been reading a lot for uni, but I haven't been able to read much for fun. The only have that I can give is to carry your book with you! I always have my eReader/the book that I'm currently reading in my bag when I go to uni. Like this, while I'm on the bus or in between classes, I can get a bit of reading done.

    And you're so right that choosing the right book makes all the difference! Whenever I end up reading a book I don't like (and that happened quite a bit lately -- the books I've read were a bit disappointing), it feels like such a chore. Reading a book you like makes all the difference!

    Amelie | A Wanderer's Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great tip! I always take mine if I'm going to be in the car for awhile or know I'll have some spare time waiting that I can use to read. I've never taken one with me around campus though, just because I usually try to get homework done between classes.

      Delete
  3. I loved reading when I was younger, but lately I've found that I don't have time or that I'd rather binge on Netflix. I'm definitely going to try and find a few good books to read this summer though! Great post!

    Caiti / Caiti Nicole Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same problem (and still do sometimes). Switching to reading before bed rather than netflixing before bed helped a lot though because it made reading part of my daily routine AND it helped me get better sleep!

      - Courtney
      courtneylthings.blogspot.com

      Delete
  4. These are such fantastic tips! I love reading but I go in and out of it! At the moment I have lost my mojo at the moment to I will be taking these tips for sure!!

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to get out of reading just because you have to actually sit down with a book and do a bit of work rather than just pressing play on Netflix or scrolling through Instagram. I hope these tips help :)

      Delete
  5. I definitely need to get back into reading and making it part of a routine is a good idea! I might try reading again before bed, or even getting up a bit earlier to read :)

    Bumble & Be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really helped me to make reading part of my routine, so I hope it works for you! Finding the right time is the tricky part ;)

      Delete