Saturday, June 4, 2016

Day Trip | Indian Caves

This summer I made a summer bucket list for myself and a lot of the items were little day trips to go on. There are quite a few quality state and local parks around my area, so I thought this summer wold be the perfect opportunity to explore a bit more. A month into my summer and I've already been able to cross off one of those trips from my list! So if you're interested, here's a few pictures and a bit about my first day trip of the summer!



Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things


A few weekends ago I went for the best little day trip. I was in the mood to get out and go on a little adventure, so my brother and I hopped in the car and headed over to a state park. I hadn't been there since I was in elementary school, so I wasn't too sure what to expect, but I figured it couldn't be worse than just staying at home! 


Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things

When we first got there, we weren't quite sure where to go, so we just drove around the park for a bit. We found a sign for a walking trail and decided to go for it.


Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things
Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things
Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things


It was so green and lush. It's a really nice wooded area and once we hiked up the hill a bit, we got a great view of the Missouri River.


Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things
Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things
Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things
Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things
Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things


The hike was so good! Like I said, we hiked up the hill and then we hiked a ways down. It didn't seem too steep so we went pretty a few miles. Well, when we turned around we realized how steep it really was! I'm not gonna lie, I had to stop a few times going back up the hill to catch my breath! It was so worth it though and I kind of like that feeling as you hike around.

When we made it back to the car, we drove a bit closer to the river to get a better look. 


Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things
Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things


Across from the river area, was the "cave." It's more of giant rocks embedded into the side of the hill, but it's called Indian Cave. Still, it's a good site and you can actually see some of the petroglyphs made by Native American groups, mainly the Pawnee, Otoe, and Iowa tribes around 1500 years ago. If you  look, you can still see them among all the names people carved into the rock over the years. We looked and found one of the petroglyphs, and maybe one more, but we weren't sure.



Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things
Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things
Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things
Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things
Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things
Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things
Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things
Day Trip | Indian Caves from Courtney's Little Things


So that was our trip! I really enjoyed it and it has me excited to go for another one. If I went back, I would probably bring stuff for a picnic since there were so many perfect spots for one.

What's on your summer bucket list? Have you made any progress on it yet? Do you have a favorite spot for day trips?





6 comments:

  1. These pictures are beautiful, looks like the perfect place for a hike! :) I still have five more weeks of school to go until I'm on summer break & it has been raining a lot here in Switzerland lately so I haven't even really started thinking about my summer bucket list & things I want to do yet. But once I'm finally on break I definitely want to go on a lot of hikes x

    Sara / AboutLittleThiings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! We had a lot of rain in May, but now the weather is in full summer mode. I hope your last few weeks of school go well and you have a great summer when it comes!

      Delete
  2. It looks like you had a great time! This is such a cute place! We have lots of places like this in England, they are called national trust places in the UK and most have woods, lakes and places to explore! They are fun to visit and take lots of photos! Great post xx

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! I've seen a few UK bloggers do photo diaries of their trips to national trusts and they look so beautiful. I'm always a little jealous because sometimes they include castles which always interest me since we don't have any in the US.

      Delete
  3. Ahh, these pictures were so calming! You have great photography skills girl. Looking forward to seeing more of your day trip pics :) I'm in Houston for the summer, so I'm hoping to really get out and explore the city!

    Always, Gabby
    theswirlblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always like taking photos :) Houston would be a fun city to explore! I hope you have fun there

      Delete