Thursday, June 30, 2016

Day Trip Essentials

Day trips are a great way to explore the beautiful parks, cities, and areas around you. They're also a great way to escape from day to day life without having to pay for a hotel or overnight stay somewhere. If you've been keeping up with my weekend wrap ups as of late, you'll know I've been on a couple different day trips over the past month. I've been to two state parks which you can read about here and here and Arbor Lodge if you'd like to read about those trips. I've got what I put in my bag for day trips down, so I thought I'd share with you what I take when I know I'll be out for the day!


Day Trip Essentials from Courtney's Little Things




Water.

Whenever I'm going to be out, I always take a bottle of water with me. I like to have something to drink in the car if it will be a long ride and of course I need to stay hydrated when out walking in the summer heat. It saves a few dollars if you bring a bottle from home and if you use a reusable bottle or tumbler, it helps the environment too. 


Snack.

Much like having a drink with me, I always like to have a little snack should I get hungry. If you're gone all day or doing a lot of walking and exploring you can get hungry, so bringing a little snack with you is a little life saver. My favorite snack to take on the road is a good trail mix since it's salty, sweet, and a bit chocolatey! Plus it has a bit of protein in it to give a bit more energy on a long day. And as with bringing your own water, this will save a few dollars and possibly stop you from making a worse decision like picking up candy at a gas station or getting something at a fast food place.


Good walking shoes.

I always do a lot of walking when I'm out on a day trip, so it's important that I wear a good pair of shoes that will be comfy and help me make it through the day pain free. I get blisters from shoes really easily, so this is something I'm always sure I bring. Some days I even wear a pair of sandals in the car, slip into my walking shoes once I get to my destination, and then back into my sandals when I get back in the car. 


Sunglasses.

The sun is usually out this time of year and I swear it gets brighter and more intense each day! So whenever I'm going out, for a day trip or even just to run errands, I take a pair of sunglasses with me. I keep a pair of sunglasses in my bag at all times just to make it easier, along with a pair of sunglasses that are always in my car for the times I leave the sunglasses that should be in my purse on the table at home.


Sunscreen.

Along with sunglasses to protect my eyes from the sun, I protect my skin from the sun by bringing sunscreen with me. I'm pretty pale and burn easily so I take an SPF 50 and reapply it every few hours so I don't end up with a nasty sunburn to remember my trip by.


Camera.

Last, but my favorite item on this list is a camera! I like taking lots of pictures on my day trips, especially this summer since I know a vacation isn't in store for me this year.  It's always fun to capture moments for my 2016 album and to share here on Courtney's Little Things! Before I go I make sure my camera battery is charged because nothing is worse than taking 3 photos then having your camera die on you.


These are the six things I bring with me when I'm going out on a day trip. Like I said, day trips are a great way to explore the area around you and take a bit of a break from every day life. They're always so much fun and memorable. I'm hoping to go on a few more day trips this summer and I hope you're able to go on one or two yourself!

Have you been on any day trips this summer? What do you bring with you on your day trips?





12 comments:

  1. Snacks and water are definite essentials for me too!

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My water bottle goes everywhere- I'm glad I'm not the only one!
    And I haven't been on any day trips yet- sadness, I know. I'm looking forward to one though!
    My day trip trick is to always dress in layers, because between air conditioning and hot walks, your temperature can change a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - layers are a great idea! You never know what you'll need.

      Delete
  3. These are awesome tips, and perfect timing, too, as my family and I are going on a little day trip tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad this got to you at the perfect time! Hope you had fun on your trip!

      Delete
  4. Good walking shoes are always a must (especially in the summer) ... why are summer shoes SO uncomfortable?!

    http://laurenslittleblogs.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know! I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem though.

      Delete
  5. Wherever I go I always take a water bottle with me as well! I just don't like not having anything to drink cause I often get headaches when I don't drink enough. I ahree with all the other things too, they're definitely all essentials for me as well :) x

    Sara / AboutLittleThiings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like just having something to sip on throughout the day, so I always have a glass of water in the house and bring a bottle with me whenever I'm out!

      Delete
  6. I don't go anywhere without taking my camera with me!!! I love photography, going on day trips is always the best time to take photos xx

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? Even just going for a walk can be the perfect time to experiment with photos!

      Delete