Saturday, June 18, 2016

Blogging and Confidence

I had a moment today where I realized how much more confident I've become. It's been a slow process, but I think blogging has a lot to do with it. So I thought I'd share with you how blogging has affected my confidence over the past 1.5 years. 


Blogging and Confidence | How blogging has affected my confidence. from Courtney's Little Things



When I first started blogging I was trying to hide my identity a bit, partly for security but mostly for my lack of confidence. I was a bit embarrassed by my writing and photography and what other people would think of my hobby. There was also no way I was going to show my face on my blog because I felt like my beauty paled in comparison to the other bloggers I followed. 

I would never have dreamed of sharing the outfit I wore over the weekend, but today I'm getting ready for a little afternoon out and thinking "I want to get a picture of my outfit while we're out today." I know for some people that might not be a big deal, posting a photo of themselves online, but I've always been self-conscious about my body and the way I look and still hesitate to post photos of myself on my personal or blog accounts. 

It's not that I absolutely hate my body or the way I look. I think I look fine, but that's kind of where it ends. I've always been insecure about my weight, my forehead, and a load of other little things I nitpick at. Lately I've not been caring as much as I usually do about these little things and have been more open about posting photos of myself here and elsewhere. I'm sure my efforts with self-care and learning to accept myself flaws and all over the past few years has something to do with it, but I think blogging really has a lot to do with this.

While you could blog without ever showing your face or giving too much of yourself away, I think it's nearly impossible for anyone who finds themselves really getting into blogging. Blogging requires confidence. You have to have confidence in your writing, your photography, and what you have to say to press publish on your posts and share them with the world. The first few months of blogging were hard because my confidence in these areas fluctuated a lot. I would publish a few posts and then decide "no, no one cares about this" and make my blog private. But having a place to share my writing and photos was exactly what I wanted and I had enjoyed reading and being inspired by other people's blogs and wanted to do the same for someone else. So I kept going. My writing and photos got better and better which increased my confidence. Actual people started reading and commenting on my blog and my confidence and excitement grew. 

As I grew more confident in my blog, I also grew more confident in myself. Why? Because blogging really is putting a bit of yourself out into the world. You're saying "this is how I see it, this is what I think." And for me, as I grew more confident in my voice here on Courtney's Little Things, I also grew more confident in my voice in real life. And as I grow more and more confident in who I am on "the inside" (for a lack of a better word), I also find myself growing more and more confident in who I am on "the outside." I'm still a bit insecure, but I'm much more confident in my looks and outfits and even the way I walk (I actually had someone comment on how much more confident I walk).

I'm sure this confidence will only grow from here, and I truly do think a large part of it is because of blogging and all you lovely people who support and encourage me here. So thank you :)


Has blogging affected your confidence? Has something else helped you to grow more confident? Let me know in the comments!






10 comments:

  1. Blogging has definitely affected my confidence a lot! Before starting my blog I was considering whether I should really go for it or not for quite a while just because I was afraid that no one would care about what I had to say. I felt like I wasn't confident enough to share my ideas and the thought of people who know me in real life finding out about it kind of scared me as well. I ended up doing it anyways though and I'm so glad I did. I believe in myself, my writing & my ideas so much more now. Getting comments and positive feedback on my posts really helped me to feel more confident and made me realise that there are actually people who care about what I have to say. I'm at a point now where I'm proud to tell people about my blog & that's a great feeling :) x

    Sara / AboutLittleThiings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love that blogging has this kind of effect on us :)

      Delete
  2. Such a sweet post :) thanks for sharing!
    www.elliswoolley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really lovely to read...such a positive post. And I agree so much. It's lovely reading about people discovering their confidence and what makes them happy. Xx

    Keep Calm and start writing -
    Millymayamelia.com
    23millymay25.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm always a little nervous writing posts like this so I'm glad to hear you like reading them :)

      Delete
  4. I am so glad to hear that blogging has made such a positive impact to your confidence. I totally agree with what you say in this post. I have definitely become a lot more confident in the content I share. I used to just do basic beauty posts, wish lists etc. And now I am super happy to write about anything but also talk about personal issues. I find myself being so chatty and extroverted online, so I hope in the future it wears of in real life. Loved this post by the way xx

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really happy blogging has turned out to be so positive. Before starting I was worried it would be bad with internet trolls posting mean things in the comments, but I have not had anything but nice comments on my blog which is so encouraging! And I love how confident you are with posting about personal issues

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Glad it made your morning better :)

      Delete