Thursday, May 26, 2016

My Blogging Essentials

Aside from a laptop and a camera, there are a few things I use every day (or nearly every day) to help with blogging and make it easier. If you've been blogging for any amount of time, I'm sure you know how much work we all put into it. Along with writing posts and taking photos for said posts, there's social media accounts to keep up with, posts to promote, an editorial calendar to keep track of, stats to keep track of, and of course other blogs to read. These are just a few of my blogging essentials that I use to make blogging a little easier.



My Blogging Essentials from Courtney's Little Things



Hootsuite

Hootsuite is what I use to schedule my tweets. For me, this site is super simple and easy to use. On the weekends I usually schedule my promo tweets for the week. It makes it so much easier to have a few promo tweets scheduled each day, so I don't have to think about posting them during the day while I'm at school or work.

You can also use Hootsuite to schedule Instagram posts, but it's still a bit more work since you have to open up the Hootsuite app on your phone, copy your caption from the app, and open the photo in Instagram and paste the caption.


GoogleDrive

I keep my "spreadsheet" (I hate that word, but that's what it is) of blog post titles, links to the post, and pageviews for each post in my GoogleDrive. I've been using this system since October and it's been really helpful. This way, when I want to tweet some promos, I just open up my document and I can easily copy and paste my links over to Hootsuite or Twitter to write some promos instead of having to open up blogger, find the post, open the link, copy and paste.

I also have a few other blog related documents, like one with the "brand" info - colors and fonts I use - and other documents like post ideas and one with people who've mentioned me on their blogs (just because I like to see nice things about me and my blog if I ever get frustrated with blogging).


GoogleCalendar

Another Google app I use for blogging is Google Calendar. I've used a paper calendar in the past to plan out my editorial calendar (i.e. what I'm posting on what days), but over the last 6 months I've found that using GoogleCalendar is much easier and more convenient. I can make a plan of what I'll post on what days, but if a new idea comes up or I decided to switch the order, I can easily drag the posts to a different day. I can also add in little notes if I want so I don't forget an idea I had for the post or a quick outline of what I have in mind.


Folder of  Title Images

I've started keeping a folder on my computer of all the title images I use for blog posts and it has been so amazing. This is another tool that makes it super easy to promo posts since all the images I'll need are in one folder. It's much more convenient than having to search through folders and folders or just scroll through all the images you've ever saved on your laptop.

I also keep this folder organized by saving all of the images with the name of the post (or a shortened version of the post title). This helps because then I know what I'm looking for when I scroll through the photos.


Bloglovin

Bloglovin is something I feel like all bloggers should have. As a reader, it makes it so much easier for me to follow your blog. I can scroll through my Bloglovin feed each evening and see what new posts all my favorite bloggers have posted in one spot, instead of having to remember to check each blog individually. I also love that I can save the post to read later or in a collection like College Life & Advice or Blogging Tips, Tricks, & Truths.

As a blogger I love it because, as I mentioned, it makes it easier for other people to follow my blog. Whenever I have publish a new post, it will show up on the Bloglovin feeds of people who follow me. It's also great because I have set up my Bloglovin account to tweet a link to my newest post after it's been published. This is super helpful because even if I do forget to schedule promo tweets for my newest post, it's already been tweeted about once thanks to Bloglovin.


Those are my 5 must have items for blogging. They make blogging much easier and help me to keep up with all the additional tasks of blogging like promoting posts, reading other blogs, and keeping all my ideas for upcoming posts organized.

What tools do you use to help you with blogging? What are some blogging essentials you'd add to this list?





Twitter Instagram   Bloglovin   Pinterest

6 comments:

  1. This post has given me some good ideas! especially using google drive and google calendar, I never thought of that!

    Jess
    www.acornlifefitness.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so helpful!! Google Drive and Calendar really help me to stay organized with blogging. Glad this post helped you out :)

      Delete
  2. I love Hootsuite! I do wish that there was an easier way to schedule Instagram posts...and a way to schedule pins on Pinterest without having to pay for a program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I am too cheap to pay for a program that would schedule pins, but I would love to be able to schedule them. Otherwise I just pin 50 things in the evening and then nothing the rest of the day :/

      Delete
  3. I have yet to utilize Google drive for blogging! I'm definitely going to create your "spreadsheet" because it's such a pain to go back and try and find post links... Love the post!
    -Abigail
    livingthegraylife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! It's a big time saver when you want to promote a post to be able to just open up a spreadsheet rather than have to go scrolling through Blogger. Glad you liked the post and it gave you a new idea :)

      Delete