Saturday, May 7, 2016

A Letter to My Mom

Mother's Day is coming up, so I thought I'd write you a note. I know sometimes we annoy each other, sometimes I tease you too much, and in the past I've treated you badly (the middle school years were rough), but you are quite possibly the most important person in my life. 

A Letter to My Mom from Courtney's Little Things
A Letter to My Mom from Courtney's Little Things


You've made so many choices to put me first and care for me, even when I'm sure it wasn't easy. You chose to carry me for 9 months, to go through labor for hours and hours only to have a c-section. You chose to be a stay at home mom so you could take care of me and raise me. You took care of all the dirty diapers, crying fits, and everything else. 

As I got older you chose to work even harder as a mother and homeschool me for elementary school. After making it through middle school, high school, and college - I really think you were the best teacher I could have had for elementary. You taught me everything I needed to learn academically and about life. I was able to learn things outside of a classroom by going on nature walks and seeing biology and ecosystems first hand. I was able to learn history by visiting museums around the area and even in other states! I was able to learn more about things I care about and study them at a deeper level than I would have been able to otherwise. And I thank you for that because I really think that education has inspired me throughout my whole life and made me love learning.

You helped me navigate through all of those fun and weird changes as I grew into the woman I now am. From body changes, friendship changes, and growing into a more independent young woman, you supported me and helped me work through all the hardships. You've been there through the tears, the smiles, the laughs, the slamming doors, and even the quiet moments. You never gave up on me and always pushed me to be the best version of myself.

I'm sure you know by now, but just in case you don't, you've always been my hero. For those sacrifices and reasons I already mentioned. For your positive and silly personality. For showing me that getting older doesn't mean getting boring or toning down your personality. For the constant love, support, and encouragement you show me. For the way you care for others be it your children, your husband, your parents, your friends. For your strength in dealing with tense and traumatic situations. For your passion - even if I don't always share your passion for birds or quilting. 

Along with being my hero, you're my best friend. I love being able to come home on the weekends and spend time with you, even if it's just sitting around and talking at the dining room table. We can have fun just sitting and talking, going out to dinner or to do some shopping, or going for a walk or out to the lake to kayak. You're always the first person I call when I need advice or help figuring something out. You're also the first person I call when I get exciting news or something good happens. I always value what you have to say and the advice you offer me because I know you only want the best for me.

I don't really know how to end a letter like this, but I'll end it with I love you. I'm so glad you're my mom.

4 comments:

  1. This was SUCH a touching post! Our Mother's Day here in the UK was a couple of months ago now, and I really wish I could have put something together this touching for my mum too.

    Steph - www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to do something similar next year :)

      Delete
  2. this is so beautiful! That's so nice your mom is your best friend.. Now I want to go write my mom a letter :)

    Arianne | Ayre

    ReplyDelete