Saturday, April 2, 2016

March Favorites

March has been pretty good to me. Seems really calmed down both academically and personally which was very much needed. I got to go to a concert with 2 of my siblings, I started working on getting healthier, enjoyed the (sometimes) nice spring weather, and finished reading 2 books! I also had my spring break this month. It was soooo great to have some extra downtime to spend with family, relaxing, and catching up on school work. Now that I've filled you in on how my month was, let's get on to the favorites!

March Favorites from Courtney's Little Things


Music

I have been able to focus more on my passions for teaching and Spanish this month, so I got back into listening to music in Spanish. I really love being able to enjoy music in another language, understand what they're saying, and get to know a bit of that culture through what their music is like. I added some songs by J Balvin and Nicky Jam to my playlists and rediscovered my absolute adoration for Julieta Venegas's music.

Television

This month I've been thoroughly enjoying my Law & Order SVU and NCIS marathons on USA. It's wonderful. Everyday I can turn the TV on and count on these shows being played all day. I like that I can have them on while doing work since chances are I've already seen the episode, but still love watching it.

Netflix

I watched a really interesting documentary called I Am. I've had this on my list for months and finally got around to watching it this month and loved it. The documentary interviews different intellectual and spiritual leaders on what's wrong with the world and how we can fix it - which sounds pretty heavy but I thought the answers were mostly inspiring and really made me think about life and how I approach my life. It focuses on community and kindness and those are things I think we can all agree would help our world! I'd definitely recommend giving it a watch!

YouTube

A video I found on YouTube that I really liked this month was Natalie Portman's Harvard Commencement Speech. These speeches are usually motivational, as this was, but what I liked the most about it was Natalie's honesty. She was honest about her insecurities about being an intellectual and an actress, finding she doesn't have to prove herself, and coming to accept her passions. Seeing someone who I would describe as highly successful opening up about her insecurities really inspired me.



Movie

I hadn't seen Trainwreck until this month. From the commercials I thought it was just a typical "hot mess meets a great guy and completely changes" romantic comedy starring the current "it-girl" Amy Schumer. So when my friend brought it home from Redbox I was willing to watch it, but not expecting much. I quickly realized this movie is a bit more than the typical storyline I had thought it would be. It's a really funny movie about growing up and relationships (to family and men). Also, LeBron James is in it and he is the most hilarious best friend character ever and I love it.

Book

The first book I finished this year was Gifts of Imperfection. I wrote a whole post with my favorite lessons from the book. This is another inspiring favorite from this month. I learned so much about myself and how to be more compassionate, courageous, honest and authentic, and how these qualities help you embrace your imperfections so you can live a more whole-hearted life.

Purchase

New planner stickers!! I bought some new planner stickers at the end of February that I've really enjoyed using this month. ...and then I bought more! Cute planner stickers really are an addiction for me. So many Etsy shops, so little money. I made my purchases from Crafty Planner Addict, Sweet Kawaii Design, and Sticker Bloom. I was really pleased with stickers from all three stores and they look super adorable in my planner!

Food

I've been trying to be healthier this month by being more active and tracking what I eat. It was fine the first few weeks, but then I started to be broken down by all of the Easter treats! Pastel colored sugar cookies, chocolate bunnies, chocolate creme filled chocolate eggs...the list goes on! It's so hard to resist these treats. Maybe someday I'll be better at telling my sweet tooth "no."

App

Like I just said, I've been trying to track what I eat this month and be more active. I've been using the My Fitness Pal app to do that. It's really handy because you can put in info about yourself and it calculates how many calories you should be eating each day, has a database with every food imaginable, and helps you see your progress with the help of all the charts it makes for you.

And since we're talking about apps, I'm going to shamelessly self-promote. I tried a while ago to use Snapchat for my blog, but it didn't go so well. I've decided to give it a second chance after seeing other bloggers using it more. So if you'd like you should totally add me. CourtneyLThings is my username on it and I'd love to add you as well!

Blog

Through the Mirror. Caitlin is mainly a beauty blogger, but she also has some great posts on blogging like this amazing list of 101 Resources for Bloggers and this list of 70 Blog Post Ideas for Spring. She also started something pretty cool this month called #STLBloggers (Share the Love Bloggers) to celebrate bloggers and bring more positivity into the blogging community. There's a #STLBloggers Twitter chat on Saturdays at 8 pm UK time. 


6 comments:

  1. Lovely post!! I really enjoy Caitlin's blog and her new series is such a good idea! Definitely needed in the blogging community xxx


    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Her blog is one I always read through

      Delete
  2. I'm a bit of a NCIS fan myself. Great show! Although I think I never finished watching it. I watched it on TV, and at some point they simply stopped broadcasting it -cries-.

    xx Izzy | Qthee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sad! It's on Netflix here in the US, so maybe it is in the Netherlands?

      Delete
  3. I saw Trainwreck as soon as I could. I'm a big Amy Schumer fan, and I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the movie may have converted me to a fan. I'll have to check out more of her stuff

      Delete