Thursday, April 7, 2016

I Am Malala | Book Review

Malala Yousafzai is someone who really inspires me. She is so young but  has done so much in her work for education and has done so without fear despite being shot and nearly killed for doing so. She even inspired me to write a term paper about girls' education in Pakistan. All of that made me really interested in reading Malala's autobiography. I got the book for Christmas and started reading it at the start of this year. I've mentioned reading it on here several times and I always get comments wanting to know about the book, so I thought I would do a little book review for you guys!

I Am Malala | Book Review from Courtney's Little Things


I Am Malala is a little over 300 pages, so you can judge for yourself how long it will take you to read. I thought the book was easy to read and went at a good pace which kept me from getting bored with it (which is my biggest struggle when reading). 

The book goes from Malala's childhood and family background all the way through her family adjusting to life in England in 2013. It's really interesting to learn about Pakistan's history, the beauty of Swat, and how her father Ziauddin became an advocate for education, especially girls' education. It's also fun to see how some things are the same no matter where you are in the world.  

I also loved that the book includes photos of Malala and her family throughout the years. As you may know, I love looking at old photo albums so I really enjoyed being able to see pictures of Malala and her brother building a snowman, her at school, and a photo of her favorite teacher Madam Maryam. It also helps to be able to better imagine everything that goes on in the book since you can flip to a photo and see what her mom looks like or what the school she went to in Pakistan looked like.

I loved the book and feel like I learned so much. It made me really grateful for the free education I received and even more inspired to teach. If you're at all interested in learning more about Malala Yousafzai (even just a tiny bit interested), I would definitely recommend reading I Am Malala. 

If you have any other questions about the book, let me know in the comments!


2 comments:

  1. This book is on my to read list in good reads! I look forward to picking it up in the future as I have heard some great reviews xx

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I got it for a gift. It was even better than I was expecting it to be!

      Delete