Saturday, April 9, 2016

10 Things To Do More Often

We all have things we should do more often. I saw someone else with a post titled things to do more often (which of course I cannot find now), and that title got me thinking about things I want to do more often. This is a bit of a rambly post, or at least it felt that way to me while writing it. Anyways, these are a few of the things I would like to do more often.


10 Things To Do More Often from Courtney's Little Things



Call friends/family.

I am the worst at picking up the phone and calling anyone besides my mom. I am good if I call my brother who lives 6 hours away once a month and it's a miracle if I text my friends who live out of town more than one day a month. It's sad! I care about these people, so I need to get over the thoughts I have about it having to be a long phone conversation that will drain me or being too busy to call.


Eat more fruits and veggies.

I practically live off of carbs and cheese: pizza, pasta, sandwiches, the list goes on. I need to be better about including more fruits and veggies in my diet. The fruits are the hardest for me because if I'm craving something sweet, I reach for an artificial sweet first (like a cookie or chocolate...).


Get outside.

Especially with blogging, it seems like it's so easy to spend your day in front of a screen. There's always a post I could write, blogs to read, and social media to post on. It's not good though! I need to spend more time outside, especially now that it's nice out.


Explore the area I live in.

I think most of us take for granted the areas we live in. I'm lucky enough to live in an area with lots of parks around within an hour or two hour's drive. It's a waste to sit at home when I could be out exploring a national or state park! I've added a few of these places to my summer bucket list, so hopefully I will be able to cross a few off my list.


Visit grandparents.

I wrote a post a while ago about a surrogate grandparent that I lost. Now my grandparents are getting older. When I was younger I didn't want to visit my grandparents because it was "boring" or they talked to my parents more than me. Now I really don't have that excuse anymore since I have the ability to stop by for just 15 minutes by myself if I want, but I still keep that mentality that it will be boring or awkward, even though I've had some really good conversations with them as I've gotten older. I need to visit them more because just like I said in that post, there's no guarantee on how much longer you have with them (or anyone else for that matter).



10 Things To Do More Often from Courtney's Little Things



Live in the moment.

I'm a planner and a worrier. I like knowing what's happening and when it will happen. I like being prepared and knowing what to expect. While it can be a great characteristic that keeps me organized, reliable, and responsible, it can also be a bit bad when it causes me to focus more on the future than what's happening right now in this moment. I have to remind myself sometimes to just enjoy the moment I'm in, even if it doesn't seem like a good moment, because you'll never have it back. You can either enjoy your present moment in life or constantly be looking towards the next assignment, change, or whatever it is for you.


Appreciate the little things.

Watching the sunset, taking a moment to enjoy the spring flowers, slowly eating your favorite meal (instead of scarfing it down), and accepting compliments from a stranger are a few of the things that come to mind. There's just so many little things in life that are pretty great when you take the time to slow down and appreciate it instead of rushing from one moment to the next or open your eyes a bit instead of just watching TV and internet scrolling.


Listen to music.

When I was younger, I listened to music all the time. I even thought I wanted to be a music journalist for a while in middle school. In college I stopped listening to music as often because I was sharing a room or living with someone who did not appreciate loud volumes. This year I've been listening to more music again (it's great to not have to wear headphones when you want to listen to music) and it's something I feel like there's always more time to do - cleaning, writing, reading you can always be listening to music in the background!


Read.

While I truly believe reading anything is great - blog posts, magazines, online news articles - I want to read more books. I've already started reading more this year and it's something I want to continue this year and throughout my life. There's just so many interesting books to read! I've found I like more non-fiction books, but it's still good to get lost in a fictional world from time to time. 


Be honest/open.

Not that I lie all the time, but I'm very private and my feelings and hobbies are things I like to keep to myself. My hobbies like blogging and decorating my planner are things that get me really excited and that I love so much, that I would be crushed if anyone put them down, so I think I keep them to myself because of that fear of rejection. My feelings, especially when I'm depressed, feel like they would be a burden if I told someone else or I think they'll just make other people feel bad, too, so I don't share them. I also take a lot of pride in being "strong" which makes it more difficult to share feelings (even though feelings don't make you weak!) since I want to seem like I have it together and I want other people to feel like they can come to me if they have a problem. I know it's not logical, but it's how my mind works!


So those are 10 things I'd like to do more often. What would you put on your list of things to do more often? Let me know in the comments!





12 comments:

  1. This post was very uplifting. I really enjoyed it...thank you...definitely feel they are all lovely things to devote time to, especially if they help you to feel good too.
    All very best wishes.
    Millymayamelia.com.
    23millymay25.blogspot.Co. uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I was hoping this post would be inspiring to someone :)

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with so many of these, especially trying to read more! I'm so similar with the being super organised thing and then forgetting to live in the moment too! I'm totally opposite with the fruits and veges thing though, I eat way too much fruit and never get all my veges haha! Loved this post :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to just forget about reading, but it's something I really enjoy when I do make time for it. It's so good to be organized, but it's a problem if you're always thinking about what happens next - which I totally do. Hopefully we can both get better at that!

      Delete
  3. Apart from listening to music and reading I do none of these things...
    I swear I don't leave the house for weeks! Even at college I just move from the classroom to the library! I never go outside it's really not good! Loved this list, definitely very inspiring xx

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to get into a routine in college and just go from class to library to home, especially when it feels like you have lots of work you should be doing. But spending time outside is really good for you physically (since you're probably doing something), mentally, and creatively. It lifts your mood so much and can give you time to think up new ideas or practice photography. Writing that totally made me want to go outside haha. I'm a nature nut in spring and summer.

      Delete
  4. Definitely agree with a lot of the things on your list! I tend to spend way too much time inside and it really bothers me so I really want to work on that. I mean I absolutely love going on walks but I feel like I just don't do it enough x

    Sara / AboutLittleThiings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same! It seems easier to spend time outside when I'm at home because my family is mostly outdoors people. My mom is gardening, my dad is always up for a grill out or bonfire, and my brother loves playing soccer outside.

      Delete
  5. great list!! Since I just moved o a new city a few months ago I'm sill exploring - it's so fun!

    Lee - leethrifts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is one of the exciting things about moving! I'm looking forward to exploring the area I'm moving to this summer. I'm familiar with the city, but I usually am on the opposite side, so it will be fun to get to know that area more :)

      Delete
  6. These are a great list. I know that I'm one that neglects my family a lot because I am so focused on living in the now that I forget to touch base with them. (It's even harder now that I'm in Canada and they are in the States.)

    Totally need to remember a lot of these to do. Mostly the eat more veggies and being more honest to others. Thanks for the reminder luv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate to that. It's easy to get going in life and forget about calling family or even sending them a quick message. Glad you liked the post :)

      Delete