Wednesday, March 9, 2016

My Favorite Books

While I've never been the type of person who reads a book in a day, I have always loved reading. From American Girl books when I was younger, to Ellen Hopkins' books in high school, to comedy books by Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling nowadays mixed in with classics like Frankenstein and Alice in Wonderland. I've kind of ran the spectrum of different book genres, so hopefully there's a book on here for everyone!


Favorite Books from Courtney's Little Things



Bossypants by Tina Fey

Bossypants is Tina Fey's hilarious autobiography takes us from her nerdy childhood all the way through her success as a writer and actress on SNL, 30 Rock, and movies like Mean Girls.  This is one of the first biographies/comedy books I read and made me really interested in both genres. I laughed out loud and had so many sections where I was just like "Tina understands me."


Tears for Water by Alicia Keys 

This is an "oldie" from 2004, but a super great collection of poetry and lyrics by Alicia Keys. I was interested in poetry at the time and ya know, Alicia Keys is cool. If you just want a quick read, this is a great choice or even a great choice for just getting you back into reading since each poem/song is only a few pages and you can read through it easily.


The Hunger Games Series by Susanne Collins

If you haven't read these books yet, I don't know what you're waiting for! Honestly, I think they are absolutely great reads that cause you to think about some larger themes. This is one of the only series I've read all the way through since I usually get bored of the storyline and/or characters before reading all the books. If you love (or even just like) the movies, the books are so much better and well worth reading!


4,000 Years of Uppity Women by Vicki Leon

I've been interested in non-fiction books the past few years and this is one of my favorites. This is a book with lots of short pieces/biographies on women throughout the centuries who have established hospitals, schools of philosophy, and changed the world. If you love women who break the mold of traditional femininity, history, or biographies this is definitely a great choice!


Favorite Books from Courtney's Little Things
Favorite Books from Courtney's Little Things


Wait for Me by An Na

This book has always stood out to me for the beautiful wording. Really though, this book has sections that perfectly describe emotions and describe characters so you can easily picture them. At it's core it's a story about a girl finding love, her identity, and exploring her relationship with basically everything else as she finishes her last year of high school. It's one of my favorite young adult books.


Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling

This is another biography by another one of my favorite female comedians. This book felt like I was just chatting about life with one of my friends - although Mindy's a bit funnier than my friends - sorry, guys! I love reading about her childhood, young adulthood, and career and life at the current time. I loved every page of this book!


S. A Story of the Balkans by Slavenka Drakulic

Unlike the other books on this list, this is not an easy or light-hearted read. This is a dark, hearbreaking book, but one that is absolutely necessary to read. This book is about a woman caught in the midst of the Bosnian War, removed from her home, and placed in a prison camp where she is raped and tortured on a daily basis. It's horrendous. It's difficult to read. But knowing that this is stuff that really happens to women and girls around the world, makes me feel like it is a book that needs to be read. This book opened my eyes and taught me so much.


Burned, Fall Out, Impulse, Identical, and Perfect by Ellen Hopkins

Ellen Hopkins is my favorite author. Some people like How To Get Away with Murder and other high-drama, intense TV shows. I like high-drama, intense books like these. These books are super thick, but they're written in a poetic way (don't let that scare you) so they actually end up being a lot quicker reads than they look. I love Ellen Hopkins' writing style as it's so different and unique, beautiful wording, and as I said super intense and high-drama which makes it a page turner.

Have you read any of these? What are some of your favorite books? 




No comments:

Post a Comment