Wednesday, February 24, 2016

How I Use My Bullet Journal | Update

If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you know I love my bullet journal. A bullet journal is a great way to stay organized and on top of things in life. I primarily use my bullet journal to keep track of all my to-do lists and ideas. If you haven't heard of a bullet journal before, it's basically a personalized planner that you can create using any notebook. The system is really versatile and it's up to you how you want to use it. I've adapted it to best fit me, but you can find more info here if you'd like to read up on the original system.

How I Use My Bullet Journal from Courtney's Little Things


I use my bullet journal to keep track of yearly events and goals. I have a 2 page spread for 2016 with one page listing all the big events I have for each month and one page with my goals for the year. It's nice to be able to glance and see what my big plans are for 2016 and remind myself what my goals for the year are.

How I Use My Bullet Journal from Courtney's Little Things


I also use my bullet journal to organize my month a bit. I like having a cute header complete with a quote to inspire me for the month. While I don't keep track of appointments in my monthly section (I use my regular planner for that),  I do make a list of things I want to do that month. I've changed it from goals to things I'd like to do so that way I don't feel bothered if I don't get everything ticked off at the end of the month, and I feel more free to add in more "random" things. This month I added in a memories page to my monthly view. I saw the idea on Instagram and really like it as a way to be able to just look back at the big things that happen each month.

How I Use My Bullet Journal from Courtney's Little Things
How I Use My Bullet Journal from Courtney's Little Things

On a weekly basis I make a list of all the assignments, due dates, and presentations I have coming up that week along with chores and errands I need to take care of. This is really great because it's easier for me to prioritize what I need to do each day when I can see what needs done for which days and all the things I'd like to get done (like chores, blogging, social, personal). It's way less overwhelming than making a giant list of 15 things to do one day.  

I've also been keeping track of the daily tasks I need to do on this page since I am much better at tracking those things on a weekly page than elsewhere in my bullet journal. It's also much more convenient to use a daily-tasks tracker than to write out the same 5 things each day.

How I Use My Bullet Journal from Courtney's Little Things
How I Use My Bullet Journal from Courtney's Little Things


I then use my bullet journal to keep track of daily to-do lists as well. I like to put the date and weather for that day as a header, and then write out each task I need to do that day. I try to keep it around 5 things to do each day so it's doable and not overwhelming. I include just about everything from "work on group project" to "take out the trash" to "run to the grocery store" so sometimes it does end up being a bit longer when I have lots of little things to get done. 

How I Use My Bullet Journal from Courtney's Little Things
How I Use My Bullet Journal from Courtney's Little Things


If I have a lot of things going on I find making a giant list of everything to be really helpful. Some people call this a brain dump and that's exactly what it is - getting all of those tasks, assignments, and things you want to do down on paper so you don't have to keep it all on a running list in your mind. I've made a few of these recently since I have several ongoing projects and it works really well for me to break it down by writing all the little tasks I need to do to complete the project. It's also great because than I can be write down all the blogging to-dos, household chores I need to get done, and even reminders like "call mom."

How I Use My Bullet Journal from Courtney's Little Things


In the back of my bullet journal is where I keep all the fun and helpful lists I like to write. What kind of lists are those? I have lists of books I want to read, a summer bucket list (yes, I've already started), things I need to get for the apartment I move into this summer, all my usernames and passwords (this is the BIGGEST lifesaver), and even a page with blogging tips and tricks to help me out! 

How I Use My Bullet Journal from Courtney's Little Things
How I Use My Bullet Journal from Courtney's Little Things


This might seem a bit extensive, and, well, it is. I really like being organized and knowing what's coming up next. Writing lists is one way that I do that. If you want to start a bullet journal it doesn't have to include all these things, this is just an idea to show you how I use mine. You can just use a notebook for daily to-dos, to keep all those fun and helpful lists I talked about in one place, or even just for periodic brain dumps to help clear your mind. 

I hope this post gave you some ideas on how you can be more organized and new ways you might use your bullet journal if you already have one!




5 comments:

  1. This was so interesting to read!

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your journal looks so pretty, it inspires me so much how organised you are! I'd say I'm pretty organised myself but your posts are definitely always super helpful, I love them so much x

    aboutlittlethiings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like making my journal pretty so it's more fun to use.

      Delete
  3. I love reading other people's Organisation style :) I make use of lists and a calendar and sort of bullet journal too (when I hv no time to fully pour my heart and soul out on a page) which happens quite often lately lol!

    X Carina / Running White Horses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Time is a valuable resource!! I've been skimping out a bit on journaling lately, too. February's been a crazy month!

      Delete