Thursday, February 11, 2016

A Peek Inside My Academic Planner

In college it is crucial to have everything well-organized if you want to get good grades. With multiple assignments to do, papers to write, projects to work on, and tests to study for having a good planner helps to keep you moving along without forgetting anything.  In August I showed you how I set up my academic planner using some mini-binder paper from the Target Dollar Spot, and today I thought I'd give you a peek inside my academic planner so you can get an idea of how I use it!


A Peek Inside My Academic Planner | How I use my planner to stay organized with classes in college from Courtney's Little Things


When you open up my academic planner, the first thing you see is my dashboard. I attached some sticky notes and a list pad to the inside of the binder and then I have some cute scrapbook paper in a page protector.


A Peek Inside My Academic Planner | How I use my planner to stay organized with classes in college from Courtney's Little Things


When I flip that page, I have the key for my color coding system this semester on a piece of paper from the list pad placed inside the page protector. I like color coding my classes because it makes it easy to know what class each assignment is for without having to write out the class name each time, and I like using that color for headlines and to mark important info in my notes for that class. 

I also have my class schedule for the semester written down and placed inside a page protector (I'm telling you - page protectors are the best. You need to invest!). This is super handy if I need a quick reminder of what classes I have that day or need to set up a meeting time for a group project.


A Peek Inside My Academic Planner | How I use my planner to stay organized with classes in college from Courtney's Little Things


After that I have my monthly planner pages for the semester. I use the monthly pages to write down when quizzes, papers, projects, and days off are - you know, the big events. That makes this section perfect to flip to when I just need a basic overview of the month or want to know when my next exam is.


A Peek Inside My Academic Planner | How I use my planner to stay organized with classes in college from Courtney's Little Things


The next section of my academic planner is the most used section - the weekly view. This is where I write down each assignment and reading, and also reminders a week in advance of  big due dates and exams. I like to have little boxes next to each item so I can tick it off when I complete it. 


A Peek Inside My Academic Planner | How I use my planner to stay organized with classes in college from Courtney's Little Things
A Peek Inside My Academic Planner | How I use my planner to stay organized with classes in college from Courtney's Little Things


In the back of my planner I have a detailed course schedule with the time, name of class, instructor, and room number listed. This is what I refer to all the time the first week or two of classes. I also keep some extra lined paper in the back of my academic planner for making lists when I need to. I keep separate notebooks for taking class notes in.


A Peek Inside My Academic Planner | How I use my planner to stay organized with classes in college from Courtney's Little Things
A Peek Inside My Academic Planner | How I use my planner to stay organized with classes in college from Courtney's Little Things


And there you have it! Now you know how I keep track of all those due dates without losing my mind. Having your class schedule and all assignments written down really helps to keep you on top of things, even if you have 6 classes like I do. I also swear by color coding - it really does make life so much easier!


A Peek Inside My Academic Planner | How I use my planner to stay organized with classes in college from Courtney's Little Things


How do you stay organized with college? Do you color code your classes, too?

2 comments:

  1. I love your color coding system, I'd love to try it for my school planner. I actually have 3 planners that I use. It actually works for me. I have one only for school where I can write to-do list, assignments, & test similar to what you do in it. Then I use google calendar for everything in my life. Lastly I use my happy planner for personal, blog, and school deadlines only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 3 planners, too! I like keeping things separate so I have the academic planner to keep track of school dates, bullet journal for to-do lists and other lists, and then my happy planner for personal, blog, and big school deadlines. So basically I'm glad someone else understands the madness haha.

      Color coding really helps to stay organized and brighten up your planner!

      Delete