Thursday, January 7, 2016

Ways to Beat Winter Boredom

I love staying in and hiding under some fuzzy blankets while reading blogs or watching Netflix in winter, but sometimes it does get old. The problem for me is that the bitter cold wind and freezing temperatures outside make me dread going out. Unlike summer, there are no leisurely evening walks, mornings at the lake, or BBQs on the deck. But just because those fun activities aren't happening, doesn't mean you have to do the same thing all winter. Here are 7 ways to beat winter boredom this year.


Ways to Beat Winter Boredom | 6 ways to beat winter boredom from Courtney's Little Things

Read a book.

Winter is the perfect time to start reading a new book. Since you're probably not interested in going out too much, you won't be distracted by the other things you could be doing. So grab a good book, a blanket, and turn on a good light so you can enjoy an evening reading.


Do a craft or art project.

Of course, I think you should do these all year round, but craft and art projects are a great way to spend a day or two. I love gathering all my painting supplies and spending an afternoon working on a canvas. It's a great way to stay creative and do something different!


Write.

Write some blog posts (like I'm doing), journal, or write a short story, novel, a poem, or whatever else you'd like. Just like a craft or art project, writing is a great way to stay creative and gets you thinking in different ways. It's another way to get out of doing the same old same old all winter long. Also, if you can write a short story or novel, I'm totally jealous.

Clean and organize.

This may not sound like the most fun thing to do, but since you're stuck inside anyway, why not make the most of your time by doing a little cleaning and organizing? Give a room a good dusting or deep clean the kitchen. Go through your closet, movie collection, and all your other stuff to organize and donate what you don't use anymore. You'll feel a lot better living in a clean space and you won't have as much stuff to keep organized!


Learn something new.

Is there anything you've been wanting to learn? Maybe it's a language, more about a place you want to visit, or how to improve your blog. Now's the time to learn! Find a YouTube video or two, an e-course or webinar, or maybe even pick up a book. You'll have more knowledge and be super proud of yourself for finally learning it!


Try a new (or an old favorite) recipe.

Whether you love to bake or you're like me and prefer to stick to cooking, winter is the perfect time to make some yummy food! Bake some muffins or a pizza made from scratch. Cook up a fancy meal or try using a new ingredient.


Go out.

Sometimes you just have to deal with the biting wind, bundle up, and go out. Just because it's cold out doesn't mean that you can't go shopping, to the movies, or wherever else.


What do you do when you're stuck inside? Do you have any other ways you like to beat winter boredom?




9 comments:

  1. These are great ideas! I love cleaning and organsising all year around! I also love to write blog posts, they definitely keep me busy x

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have different things out at different times of year, so I'm always organizing and changing how I organize. And blogging is a great hobby to stay busy!

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely a cleaner and sorter in Winter, ideal time to just get stuff done!! Though definitely still end up going out lots too! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I've gone through my Spring/Summer clothes and got rid of a lot clothes that I don't like. Then I did the same with my Fall/Winter clothes. I feel like I have so much more space now!

      Delete
  3. I always find I want to do more craft/hobby-like stuff after the holidays when life starts to feel a little mundane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely fill the void after all the craziness of the holidays!

      Delete
  4. I have to force myself to organise things sometimes but when I do afterwards I feel so much better!

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those things you don't necessarily like, but it always helps!

      Delete
  5. What great ideas! I get more books read, more letters written, etc. And then I pray for Spring!

    ReplyDelete