Wednesday, January 20, 2016

How I Use My Planner

If you've been reading this blog for awhile now, you know that I love being organized and using my planner to do so. I thought you might like to see how exactly I use my planner. While I love decorating it, I'm just going to focus on how I use it to plan. If you'd like a post about how I decorate, let me know in the comments!



How I Use My Planner | Letting you in on a few tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your planner from Courtney's Little Things


Page Flags

I really hate scribbling out plans in my planner when meetings get moved, plans change, and games get rained out. So I started using page flags to plan a few weeks or month ahead. I just write down the information I need (what it is/time/etc) on the page flag and then stick it on the date. You can get a pack of page flags at the Target dollar spot or just cut a few sticky notes into strips if you'd like to use this hack for yourself.

Write appointments.

When I go to plan a week, the first thing I do is write down all the appointments and big dates for that week. That includes meetings, days blog posts go up, exams, due dates, twitter chats, TV shows, plans with friends or family, hair appointments, doctor appointments, and anything else I might have scheduled for that week. 

Write to-dos for the day.

I write down my to-dos each day. The majority of them go into my bullet journal, but I write down the top 2 or 3 in my planner. This helps me to prioritize what I need to get done for the day and stay focused.

Journal.

If I have some extra room in my planner, I like to use it to journal. Now I'm not talking a dear diary entry (definitely not enough room for that), but I like to write down a few highlights from the day. It's a nice way to be able to look back and see what happened each day and what stood out.

When I plan.

I tend to plan week to week. Like I said, I hate scribbling out appointments and it seems like plans always change if I try to do it monthly. So on Sundays I sit down and fill out my planner for the week. I also do a little planning day to day as far as to do lists are concerned. I usually write my to-do lists the night before as I get stuff organized for the next day. I also do my journaling in the evening when I have the space. It's a good way to reflect on your day before heading off to bed!


Using my planner like this really helps me to stay on top of things so I'm not forgetting appointments or to-dos. It helps me tackle all the "boring" stuff so I can get to the fun stuff. I hope this helps you to be more organized whether you didn't know where to start with using a planner or you already use one and this just gave you a few new ideas.

How do you use your planner? Do you have any tips?

10 comments:

  1. I love the page flags for forward planning bit, this is what I do! Though with the Target ones you have to be careful they don't become unstuck!
    I'm trying to send out birthday cards this year to as many people as I can manage, and so not only do I have everyone's birthdays in my planner already, but also a page flag enough days ahead that I need to actually send out the card! I know I wouldn't necessarily forget about it, but would easily tell myself "oh, it can go out tomorrow" and then after doing that too many days, the card would be late, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so smart! I always forget to send out cards until the week or day of their birthday and then it gets to them late. I'll have to try marking when to send out their cards!

      Delete
  2. Great tips! Will start using page flags, sounds really helpful when it comes to planning!

    Liyana | Rouge & Ruche

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! It makes it easy to move things around or cancel without crossing things off all the time and having a bunch of scribbles in your planner (which drives me nuts!).

      Delete
  3. Page flags is such a good idea! I've been looking for an idea for this as meetings change all the time.
    E x
    elleanorwears.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I got the idea from some of the planner accounts on Instagram and it is a life saver!

      Delete
  4. I love your planner! I was going to buy one but I think I love my Google calendar to much! Whether I go, it comes with me x

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/5-seo-tips-for-complete-beginners.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google calendar is pretty great. I've been using it to plan out my editorial calendar and it's really handy.

      Delete
  5. I'm such a planner nerd, and I love your tip about page flags! I normally just plan monthly like that with my iPhone since I can edit an event, but the page flag idea sounds great for the paper planner I have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works really well! I only use an electronic calendar with blogging. Everything else is paper for me.

      Delete