Wednesday, December 30, 2015

3 Ways to Set New Year's Resolutions

Usually we all make our new year's resolutions the same way every year by listing some goals for the new year that we want to accomplish. They're usually the same - save money, lose weight, get healthier, and the like. But, that's not the only way to set goals and figure out a plan for the new year. Thinking about what my goals are for 2016 just wasn't getting me inspired for a new year, so I came up with 3 non-traditional ways to set new year's resolutions.


3 Ways to Set New Year's Resolutions


How do you want to feel this year?

I don't know about you, but this isn't a question I ask myself often enough. Thinking about how I want to feel in 2016 (or even just how I want to feel today) helps me to set goals and take actions that will help me to feel that way. Do you want to feel loved? Make it a point to spend time with friends and family this year. Try to talk to someone new each day. Do you want to feel happy? Take time to do something you love each day. Keep a gratitude journal. Adopt a more positive outlook.


What are your plans for the year?

Thinking about some of the big things I have lined up for the year helps me to set goals as well. For me 2016 includes the majority of my friends graduating from college in May, me living completely on my own (no more living with friends), student teaching, and graduating in December. So many big moments! This helps me to set goals because I can see what I need to do to have the life I want. With my friends graduating and me student teaching, we're all splitting up. I want to maintain these friendships so texting/calling and setting up a few get togethers are going to be a few goals this year.


Quotes to live by.

I'm a major quote collector. Before Pinterest I used to keep journals and fill them with quotes I loved. It might seem kind of corny to you at first, but picking out some inspirational quotes can be a great way to set some new year's resolutions. You can pick quotes that will inspire you to do certain things (like try new things or read more) or you can chose quotes that will remind you of how you want to feel (like quotes on positivity or being fearless). Either way these can inspire you to reach your goals!


Are you setting any new year's resolutions for 2016? Do you have any non-traditional ways of making new year's resolutions?


4 comments:

  1. Quotes are such a good way to get inspired while you set goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are. Sometimes they give you that extra push or wise words to keep you motivated.

      Delete
  2. Making goals for myself was never something I actually thought I needed to do. I just find something I want to do and do it. However, I still would like to be happy this year. Doing things I love sound feasible. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really good quality to be able to just go for things and work at them like that. Being happy is always something I'm working towards and doing things you love definitely helps :)

      Delete