Wednesday, October 28, 2015

My Study Essentials

Studying. It's a huge part of college life. With six classes this semester, it always seems like there's something to study for. Since I've been doing so much studying, I've really been able to hone in on what I need to have a productive study session. Knowing what you need in order to have a good study session is important because it makes it easier to buy school supplies and pack your bag if you're headed to the library for an intense study session! Here are 5 of my study essentials.


My Study Essentials


Music

I can't focus in absolute silence. I can get distracted to easily by everything going on in my brain. Of course, I can't listen to my favorite songs or watch TV to fill the silence. What I've found works best is quiet, instrumental music. It gives you a little background music, but it doesn't distract you from what you need to focus on - studying. I really like listening to some of the Focus playlists on Spotify like Deep Focus or Peaceful Piano.

Scratch Paper

I've learned that writing and rewriting my notes helps me to study. I rewrite my notes with doodles and graphs to help explain concepts and condense them down. This really helps as I'm reviewing the information as I rewrite it and create illustrations to go with it, plus I have a shorter, condensed version to look over before the exam. Still, I feel bad "wasting" a ton of paper. That's why I save paper from printing mishaps to write my notes on.


Colored Pens

As you may be able to tell from the photos I use on the blog, I love color. It only makes sense that I want my notes to be colorful, too! I use colored pens for headlines, underlining, grouping concepts, and for illustrations in my notes (I'm telling you I love graphs and doodles in my notes). I also use them to color code my classes. This way I can tell what class an assignment is for just by what color I used. 


My Study Essentials

Sticky Notes

Sticky notes are a must-have for life in general, but even more-so for studying! I have a little collection of sticky notes and page-flags I use for bookmarks, textbook notes, to-do lists, and questions to ask professors. These are such a life saver!


Space

Another thing I need to have when studying is lots of space. I like to spread out while I work as I have textbooks, notes, notebooks, and pens I'm using for each study session. It's a lot of stuff! When I'm looking for a place to study, I need to make sure I'll have all the room I need. This is why I like working in the living room (with the TV off!) or at a large table at the library. I have plenty of space at either of these places, which helps me to have all the resources I need at my fingertips!


These are my study essentials. Through trial and error I've  found what I need to have for a good study session, and I think everyone has to figure out what works for them. Hopefully, this list gave you some ideas for your next big review!

What are your study essentials? Do you use these things when you study?

Related Post: Tips for Getting Homework Done, What To Do If You're Failing, 3 Ways to Study 


3 comments:

  1. I remember one time I ran to the dollar store just to get colored pens because I remember they were important for studying! And yes they are. They make everything, even my ugly handwriting, much more pretty lol.
    Another essential I would add is FOOD. A little snack like nuts or granola--something I can just pop in and isn't so messy--works as a great motivator and keeps my wheels turning. I notice that if I sit and read for a while, I'm gonna get bored and sleepy, but with something to munch on, my brain wakes up.
    Still excruciatingly jealous of your handwriting though.

    Thanks for sharing!
    www.blossomthecreativist.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Food is very important! I usually keep a granola bar or a bit of trail mix in my backpack so I can get a little snack if I need to. And thanks so much for the compliment on my handwriting :)

      Delete
  2. These are great study essentials! I also need music,colored pens, and sticky notes for studying!


    - Seri
    www.Serisblog.com

    ReplyDelete