Saturday, September 12, 2015

How to Make Time for Yourself

Classes have started and my schedule is getting filled quickly. Between housework, organizations, studying, work, blogging, and spending time with friends. Trying to manage all of this makes it easy to put making time for yourself on the back burner. This usually results in me feeling worn out, depressed, and stressed about getting everything done. It's SO important to make time for yourself! You have to be able to get a little break in everyday for yourself to recuperate and stay motivated. Here are a few ways to make time for yourself.

How to Make Time for Yourself


Make it a part of your routine. 

Wake up an hour earlier so you have that extra time to focus on doing something you enjoy, getting a small workout in, or practicing yoga. If you're not as much of a morning person, you can choose a certain time each day at which you'll stop working on other projects. I try to stop working on school work at 5:00 so I can enjoy my evening. Of course sometimes I have to meet a group for a project in the evening or take an evening class, but setting a time that is your personal quitting time is a great way to make time for yourself.

Value yourself. 

When I don't make time for myself, it's usually because I'm not valuing my happiness or health. Instead, I put all my energy into getting stuff done for classes, organizations I'm involved in, and getting stuff ready for work. Even though these are things I enjoy, meeting deadlines and the pressure I put on myself to do well in these things can make them very stressful for me. That's why it's important for me to set aside a bit of my day to do things to take care of myself. Setting aside this time is really a way of letting myself know I'm important and deserve my time just as much as these other things.

Schedule it in. 

If you're really busy, you just have to schedule time for yourself. Write it in your planner and don't schedule anything else during this time. You can make it an hour on Thursday, a whole afternoon, or even an all-day event to make up for a hectic week.



How do you make time for yourself? What do you do with it?

14 comments:

  1. This is so important to staying sane in your busy life. Not to mention it feels really good when you make time for yourself. Great tips Courtney. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips! I think make the most of your time at school/ college so you can relax later. I like to give myself at least an hour realxing time in the evening x



    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think "value yourself" is the best way I've heard this said. Most people advise making sure you take time for yourself, for the reasons you stated, but they always just say something along the lines of "you need it and it's important," but it really is easy to forget that you have a need for time for yourself, and that time is valuable. To you. Right now. And later. All the time, really. Plus, if you don't value yourself and your time, nobody else will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have started sending the kids to bed just a bit earlier to give myself a little time alone, without anything else that I need to get done. It helps so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Courtney ~ Great post! I'm a huge proponent of taking time for ourselves and scheduling in a little R & R! It's so true that you have to make an appointment with yourself. Otherwise it doesn't happen. Thanks for linking up at the Merry Monday Link Party! Hope to see you again on Sunday! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, I definitely don't do this as much as I should. I need to get better about scheduling it in my day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree! It's not about having the time it's about making the time- great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time alone and for yourself is so important. I need to do it more often but sometimes it isn't possible with 6 kiddos! - jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very important message! It's so easy to get overwhelmed with it all - these are excellent reminds on haw to keep it sane.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been thinking about this a lot. I have never felt so overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My issue isn't scheduling in time for me, it's really following a schedule when it comes to work. For me, since I work at home with sporadic hours, it's hard to stay focused and not indulge in too much 'me time' when I feel overrun with work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips! I graduated college a couple years ago and I absolutely had to make time for myself or I, too, would become so stressed out and get really depressed. I think when you don't take time for yourself, you absolutely do worse in the things you ARE spending so much time on. I actually did what you mentioned in #1, I started waking up an hour earlier and hitting the gym. It was great because I would do some exercises outside in the morning sunshine and it helped me feel ready to conquer the days tasks. I'm glad you've been able to figure out what works for you, keep it up! Thanks for linking up with us at Welcome Home Wednesday, keep the great posts coming! :)

    Sam // www.diyjustcuz.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so important to take time for yourself. Life gets hectic. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Valuing yourself is a huge thing for everyone to remember. It's so easy to run your body down and get caught up in the busyness of day to day life.

    ReplyDelete