Wednesday, August 5, 2015

How I Plan for Blogging

I am all about the planning, and planning for my blog is no different. I love looking at a blank sheet of paper and filling in the days I blog with ideas, dreaming up future post ideas, keeping helpful tips on paper, and recording what gets published!


3 tools to help you plan your editorial calendar


Some people are all about the apps when it comes to planning, but I'm an old-fashioned paper and pen kind of girl so I mainly use a notebook, monthly planner, and folder to plan what I will be blogging about each month.


Notebook

In my notebook I have a little T-chart I make to plan out post ideas. I write down the dates of all the Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays in the month on the left side of the chart and I write down what post I think I'm going to write on the right side. 



When I write down what posts I'm going to write I have my planner out with me so I can keep any holidays or big events in mind while planning what I'm going to write about.

I'm also pretty flexible with this plan. If you look at what I have planned for July and what I actually wrote in July, you'll notice I changed a few things. If I have a post planned, but I do something fun over the week I want to share or make a cool project, I'll swap that in and save what I had planned for a later date. I think that's important. Don't force yourself to stick to a plan if you get an even better idea for a post later!

On the other half of the notebook page I add in future post ideas as I think of them so I have them written down in one place. It makes it easy to reference at the beginning of the next month when I write up my new blog post ideas. I also added in a page-view tracker in July. I just think its fun to be able to see how the number of people reading my blog grows.


Monthly Planner

With my monthly planner I track what I actually post on the blog and when. 



Like I said, sometimes I get great ideas for a blog post and swap that for what I originally had planned so I use this for referencing when I last posted things (so I don't write the same blog posts all the time) and to be able to look back on what I've written.


Folder

The folder I use for print-outs of blog ideas, a list of past posts, and the blog planner sheets I used for the first few months I was blogging. It's helpful to keep all those random tidbits together in one place. 



I also use the folder to keep my monthly planner and blog notebook in. This way when I'm on the go, I can just grab it and know I have everything I need.


Other helpful tools

I also use my bullet journal to write down my blog to-dos for the day like what photos to take, what posts to write or publish, if I need to do a link up, and all of that fun stuff. 

I use Microsoft One Note as well to write rough drafts and record ideas for future posts, keep a list of tips and tricks (like what colors I use, font sizes, etc), and a list of what I am working on for the week.

When I'm on the go and an idea hits me or I need to write something down to reference when writing a post later on, I add it to the Notes app on my iPhone. Yep, just the basic Notes app all iPhones come with. So simple and all I really need. When I'm sitting down, I add the ideas to my notebook or One Note.



How do you plan for blogging? Any good tips you'd like to share?


Related Post: 20 Photo Prop Ideas

24 comments:

  1. I do something similar in my planner. I have also started creating a post index on my computer to keep an easy and sort-able list of all my previous posts and their links. I definitely need to start backing up each post though, uggh! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A post index on the computer sounds like a good idea! I am such a pen and paper person sometimes that I just don't think of things like that.

      Delete
  2. These are some great planning ideas! I especially love the simplicity of a two column chart and then transferring plans to a calendar later! I also like to keep a pocket journal with me to as I'm getting plans together in case a want to sketch a layout or design on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These tips sound helpful to me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started doing this too when I started so I am glad to know I am on the right track. I love the idea of a printout on the posts you did for easy access and a file to keep it all together. Great ideas thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love your system.
    I mix the good and old paper and pen with electronic editorial calendar. It helps me keep up with everything whether or not I am online.
    #MerryMonday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm trying to be a better planner, so I can be a more organized, "scheduled" blogger! I love your way of doing it, so simple and easy to understand! Thanks for sharing, I'll def be implementing these ideas with my own ;)
    Visiting from: Inspiration Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this helped you! Good luck in becoming a more organized blogger :)

      Delete
  7. You have a great system. I've been blogging for about two years and I've tried paper planners, but they don't work for me. I started using a big visual bulletin/dry erase board so it's in my face all the time...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely can't miss that! You have to do what works best for you, so everyone's blog planning system is a little different :)

      Delete
  8. These are some great ideas. I use my planner quite often and take notes and write down ideas for posts. I also have a file on my computer for my blog. I make a new folder each time I think of a topic that I want to write about in the future, or store pictures that need to be edited for future posts. That was I can open the file and see what I already have pics of that I can write really quick if I'm running short on time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping extra photos for future blog posts is a great idea! I tend to take photos and write the post in the same week, but I'm trying to get into having back-up posts like that for when life gets a little rushed.

      Delete
  9. This is helpful! Thanks!
    I am still learning how to plan my blog (in very beginning stages), so I appreciate this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow,will have to start doing some of these. I am not organized at all. Hopefully I can pick up these habits right now that I am in the starting process.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a monthly calendar but, I've been wanting to get an online WP Calendar for my site. Thanks for sharing how you keep yours organized.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep a running list of ideas in OneNote (if I come up with them on-line) and in my planner. I have a sticky note in my planner marking the next time a blog post is due. And I have a calendar of what sort of post I post on which day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OneNote is so handy! It's so easy to keep everything organized and all in one place so I don't forget about it. It sounds like you have a great system :)

      Delete
  13. You're supposed to plan?? lol My planning is scribbling on random pieces of paper. Not always the best plan...
    Here from Create and Share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I know a lot of people just like to sit down and write whatever they feel would make a good post that day, and that works for them. I like having an idea of what I'll be doing ahead of time so I can take some photos one day, edit them another, write the post later, and then hit publish :)

      Delete
  14. Thank you for linking this on my blog!! It's so helpful.

    Karishma - www.beneaththebrush.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Courtney this is so helpful!! I'm working on a content calendar & editorial calendar for my new blog & finding a way to plan efficiently is so hard. I think I'll try this method out and see how it works for me. Thank you for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it Jazmine :) Good luck with your new blog!! I can't wait to read it!

      Delete
  16. Thank you for sharing your blog planning with all of us. I use my own DIY personal planner. I've included monthly sheets and daily sheets and I plan out my posts by day, to do's by the day and so forth. In the monthly view I track blog posts and check them off as they get done. I also plan my posts about 2-months in advance with room or movement if I get new products or ideas. Right now I have all of January's posts done and ready to go and I'm slowly working on the first week of February.

    I really should post about my schedule as well :)

    Krystal
    B: embraceandignite.blogspot.ca
    T: @krystalmarieann

    Did you know I'm also a Graphic & Web Designer?
    W: krystalmariedesignstudio.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound so organized Krystal! I'd love to see a post on your blog planner!

      Delete