Saturday, July 25, 2015

How I Journal

Back in the day (i.e. like 5 years ago) I had a traditional Dear Diary style journal. It was filled with heightened teenage emotion and huge high school problems. It kind of started to become a less common thing during my senior year and even less common for me to write in during my first year of college. The last two years I had random papers filled with roommate dilemmas, secrets about my depression, and things I was struggling with but no real journal that kept all these papers together.


At the end of 2014 I felt like I would really like to get back into journaling, but I wasn't sure how to do it now that I'm busy and only really want to write down a few little scribbles to remember each day by. On a shopping trip to Barnes & Noble I found the most beautiful planner and had to have it. I decided it would be my journal for the year.


When I started, I just wrote down a few notes about where I went, what I did, and who I spent time with. I added a few stickers or doodles if I had something to go with it.


Now it's evolved into a more visual journal with lots of stickers, bright colors, and doodles. I have to put stickers in to compliment what I did that day or I feel like the page is naked.


This journal is something I really enjoy spending time on. I normally have a day or two a week in which I decorate and write down what I did and who with for each day. I refer back to my planner or bullet journal if I can't quite remember a particular day. It takes probably 15-20 minutes and it's a time I look forward to.


Here's the journal/planner I'm eyeing for next year.


Do you journal? How do you do it? Do you have any journaling tips?

9 comments:

  1. That is so cute, and I love the stickers! I'll have to show this idea to my daughters! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks! I hope your daughters like it and can use this for their journaling.

      Delete
  2. I love this!!! Now this makes me want to start journaling again! I used write in a diary when I was younger and would make it very visual with pictures and drawings! It really makes it your own secret thing to come home to after a long day! This inspired me to get back into writing my personal life down now I need the perfect journal...time to go shopping haha!

    Jasmine :)
    colorubold.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great way to be creative after a long day. I hope you find the perfect journal and start writing!

      Delete
  3. what a great way to journal! Love all the fun stickers & stamps! Thank you so much for linking up to Merry Monday this week! I am sharing your post today on my Twitter We hope to see you next week for another great party! Have a great week!
    Best,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing this post! I'm glad you liked it. :)

      Delete
  4. I've found your blog just today and it amazes me how much I love your content! Everything you write about interests me; you've got yourself a new reader!
    www.essibell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute idea! I'm the same, I used to journal heaps in high school and haven't been doing it since I got to college because I just don't have the time! This seems like a really neat way to do it though, I'll have to give it a go! :) x
    katey-adventures.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete