Saturday, June 27, 2015

Tips for Summer Classes



I've taken at least one class each summer for the 3 years I've been in college. The first year I took an online class, last summer I studied abroad, and this year I'm taking 2 classes on campus. I already finished one (got an A!) and am starting my next class in July.

If you're looking for tips on how to ace summer classes and still have fun, I've got a few pointers for you.

1. Be organized. This is CRUCIAL. My first year when I took the online class I wasn't very organized so I missed a deadline. Because I wasn't organized and didn't know when the paper was due, I missed the deadline and received 0 credit for it. Don't let this happen to you! Have all the important due dates and test dates written down on a sheet of paper you keep handy - I glued it and an assignment schedule into my notebook this summer - and write it down on your planner. 

2. Go to class. Summer classes are no walk through the park. They cram an entire semester into 1 month, so missing one day of class is like missing a week. This applies to both classes on campus and online. If you don't go to class/do the work for that day you are missing a week's worth of information that will be on the test. Make sure you do it!

3. Study a little each day. As I said, summer classes manage to fit an entire semester into a 1 month period. That means that it's super important to study each day. I try to study at least an hour everyday after class and for an hour or two on Sunday. I like to study by rewriting my notes into a condensed, visual form. 

4. Set up a routine. I had a routine I stuck to so I could be sure I would have time to enjoy summer, even with class. I went to class in the morning, took 2 hours off to take a break and have lunch, studied for an hour (or two) and then I was done. So I did 4 hours of school Monday-Thursday with class and studying. That is such a small amount of the day! I was still able to keep up with my class and still have time for friends, ice cream, and a couple adventures.

Do you have any tips for summer classes?









No comments:

Post a Comment