Friday, June 26, 2015

Room Organization Diaries: Day 3

The first day of the room organization diaries I tackled my messy dresser. I got rid of a bunch of the junk sitting on top of it, styled it, and went through my drawers to organize my clothes.



The second day I dealt with my shoe and paper-craft corner. This was a hot mess when I started, but it was a pretty quick clean-up as I pretty much just had to deal with my pile of shoes on the floor and the stuff I had piled on top of the shoe container.


For the third day, I decided to tackle the area around my bed. I'll be honest, I hadn't made by bed in a while, I had stacks of boxes at the foot of my bed, and although the night stand was under-utilized, what I did have in it was messy.

Here's what it looked like when I started:


First, I dealt with the bed. I threw out some of the pillows on my bed because I had 5 pillows to sleep on - don't ask me why. I think my bed becomes the collection zone for old pillows, so I threw one away and gave two others to my mom to deal with. 

I put on a set of fresh sheets and made the bed. Having the bed made makes everything else easier to deal with (at least in my mind).


Once the bed was made, I moved on to the night stand. I dusted it and went through the drawers. I threw out what wasn't needed and organized the stamps I had in one of the drawers. 


These stamps are from when I was in elementary school or middle school or something. Either way, they're at least 10 years old. Some of them were a little juvenile or random hand me downs. I threw away a few of the ones I knew I wouldn't be using (That sounds so bad now. What did I do to those poor stamps!) and organized the rest. 

I grouped them together in zip-loc baggies as planner stamps, summer stamps, and random stamps. I feel like this is a system that is going to work for me. I can just grab a bag and get to work without having to look through a box of stamps for the ones I want.


Once everything was placed neatly in the nightstand, it was time to move on to the foot of the bed. This was where the real mess was. Everything that gets put here is placed here because I have NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH IT. 


I had dirty laundry, teaching supplies, stuff to take to the goodwill, extra decorations, a box of clothes I don't wear and a comforter for college, a box of old photo albums, a pink crate full of random stuff, and gift bags and tissue paper standing against the wall.


With the stuff in the pink box, I found everything a better spot that makes more sense - and is more organized.


I put the extra decorations in my closet where I keep all those goodies, and hid the gift stuff behind my mirror. I really have no idea where else the gifting stuff should go because if it goes in the family storage room, it will not make it back out.

The teaching stuff is stuff I need to keep for lesson ideas, activities and games I can use later in classrooms, and other goodies for my future career. Since I had an empty drawer in my dresser, I organized my teaching supplies and moved it into the dresser. This is going to be so handy because now I have MUCH easier access to all of these supplies and it's actually organized - not just thrown in and around a bag on the floor!


As for the boxes with the extra comforter and photo albums, I don't have any other ideas for how to store them right now. I don't want to put them in the family storage room, my bed is so low that it's difficult to store stuff underneath it, and I really don't have any other options for storage so at the foot of the bed they stay. 

At least now the foot of the bed looks much neater.


That's how progress is going in my organization project. How are your organization projects coming along?

2 comments:

  1. You have really done a great job cleaning up everything!!! Maybe you could get a small storage bench for the foot of your bed to add some functional decor to your room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That is a great idea I hadn't thought of! I'll have to look around for one.

      Delete