Saturday, March 28, 2015

Spring Craft


As I mentioned in my last post, I am so excited for Spring! It's been wonderful to have 60-70 degree days, sunshine, buds on trees, and seeing the first flowers bloom. Seeing all of the magic of Spring - plus actually having free time during Spring Break - I wanted to do some Spring crafts. I made over some terracotta flower pots and painted a canvas with a Spring quote.

Spring Craft #1: Terracotta Flower Pots


I think these flower pots are perfect for storing paints, pens, and to collect the little things that always end up on my dresser. I've been using these flower pots for awhile as organization containers, but they're mismatched. I found this awesome chevron/tribal print tape at the Dollar Tree and just had to have it. I decided to give the flower pots a makeover with it, and they turned out really cute thanks to this simple project.


Because I was using pots I had already painted in the past, I gave both a fresh coat of white paint to give me a fresh canvas. If the tape you use is transparent or lighter colored, I would paint even new terracotta pots white so it doesn't have an orange-ish tint. 

After the paint dried, I put the tape around the pots. I found it easier to cut off 3 inch strips and then match up the patterns rather than just putting one giant piece of tape around the whole pot. I also tried to match up the top and bottom of the tape to create diamonds and give a more cohesive design to the pots.


They turned out really well and it took probably 20 minutes, minus the time waiting for the paint to dry. A really simple DIY and an easy way to organize! I used mine to hold paints and lotions.



Spring Craft #2: Spring Quote Canvas


I'm really enjoying all of the quote art I see all over. I love words and quotes anyways, so I like making my own quote art. I went on Pinterest and searched for some good Spring-like quotes and fell in love with the saying, "Bloom where you are planted." I'm working on being more content with where I am in life and becoming more confident, which is what I feel this quote is about so it works very well with me.



To start this project, I took a plain canvas and began painting a few flowers and leaves free hand and added some green dots to fill up the white space. Then I kept adding more and more flowers. I put more on one side than the other to give it some extra interest.



While I waited for the paint to dry, I went onto GoogleDrive to type up the quote in the fonts I wanted. I used Lobster for "bloom" and "planted" and Quicksand for the other words. 


I printed off the quote so I could transfer it to the canvas. This is the greatest trick I ever learned: chalk the back of the paper (really well), place your paper with the chalk against the canvas where you want it on your painting, and then trace the outline of the letters with a pen. When you lift the paper up, you'll have the words outlined in chalk.


I used a black paint pen to write the words. Paint pens are amazing if you enjoy doing crafts and they can be as cheap as $2 or $3.


Hopefully this gives you some ideas for Spring craft projects. I hope you enjoy trying your hand at these crafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment