Saturday, February 21, 2015

2 Great Recipes: Fresh & Simple Guacamole and Vegetarian Minestrone

I have been doing lots of cooking lately. I really enjoy cooking and this week I've been cooking to relieve some stress, take a break from homework, and eat lots of delicious food. I've made 2 recipes, one I created on the fly and the other I modified, that I want to share with you: my Fresh and Simple Guacamole and Vegetable Minestrone.


Fresh and Simple Guacamole

Ingredients:
2 avocado
2 spoon fulls of sour cream
Cherub tomatoes
A slice of onion
Cilantro


This was super easy to make and it tastes great. All I did was open 2 avocados, put the fruit in a bowl, and mix it up with a spoon to get a creamy consistency. I chopped up a slice of onion and a few cilantro leaves and cut some cherub tomatoes in half. It's really to taste on this recipe. I prefer to have lots of tomatoes because I think it tastes heavenly with the avocado. I mixed in the onion, tomatoes, and cilantro to the avocado mixture before adding 2 spoonfuls of sour cream to add extra creaminess to the guacamole. Put the guacamole in the fridge and let it sit for a couple house before eating.


To top it off, I made my own tortilla chips. I like to keep it really simple so all I do is drizzle some olive oil on a baking pan, cut 2 tortillas in chip size pieces, place them on the baking pan, heat the oven to 350 and cook them for 3-5 minutes before flipping them and cooking them for 3-5 more minutes. I like mine to be a light golden brown, but you can cook them so they're a little crispier if you'd like. 

This makes for the perfect snack after class. They taste so good, and I'll go on and assume they're about 10x healthier than store bought tortilla chips.






Vegetarian Minestrone

Ingredients:
1 can of garbanzo beans
1 package of lentils
1/4 of a zucchini
1/4 of a yellow squash
A slice of onion
Several cherub tomatoes
1 can of chunky tomato soup
1 clove of garlic



I based this off of a recipe in Simply Delicious Vegetarian by Carla Bardi, but made some modifications to it so I could make it in 1 hour rather than 4. First I followed the directions on the package of lentils, which said to boil water before adding the unopened package of lentils and cooked the garbanzo beans as the directions on the can directed. While that cooked, I cut up the rest of my vegetables, dicing the onion, zucchini, and squash, mincing the garlic, and halving the tomatoes.


I sauteed those vegetables and garlic in a separate pan. When all of my vegetables and beans finished cooking, I got out a large pot to cook the can of soup with the rest of the ingredients, to soak up all that flavor. I cooked the soup on medium-low heat for 30 minutes before dishing it up and enjoying.





I added some black pepper and crackers to top it off. If you're wondering, it tasted absolutely delicious.



What have you been cooking?

No comments:

Post a Comment